Reaction score
rock_and_shock_logo09.jpg

tumblr_kp5guvJb2z1qzvqipo1_400.jpg1152759324_0b4db34304_z.jpg
King+Diamond+king.jpg

kiss_bloody_gene_simmons_poster_print-p228713438357114553qzz0_400.jpg
0.jpg
Rob%20Zombie-2.JPG
AliceCooper.jpg

This months bands of the month will be a little different from the norm as we will be celebrating multiple artist that fit right into the month of ghouls, ghost and chills! This month we celebrating the blood spewing, fire breathing, screaming, chilling, demon loving shock rockers throughout the history of Shock N' Roll! Select members of our staff will each pick an artist that fits into the genre and celebrate their contributions to scaring the shit out of parental figures everywhere! So step in at your own risk, follow us down this haunted path and even contribute your own bloody thoughts!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: Shocktober: October 2010 BOTM Shock Rock Spotlight

MarilynMansonLogo.jpg

513977_logo.jpg
76070803.jpg
513977_logo.jpg

My focus will be on the career of Marilyn Manson. Personally I think that in the rock genre that Marilyn Manson killed shock rock. He definitely was far from the originator and owes a lot to the influences of those before him but I think he singlehandedly brought the genre to the apex by going farther than any before him and being the last true rock star to scare parents. I boldly challenge the members hear to name one artist since that manages to rile up parents. Seriously Marilyn put such a nail in that coffin that nothing shocks anymore and the only target left is video games.

Since Antichrist Superstar came out and made every soccer mom in America wet their pants, Marilyn Manson has been vilified to a point beyond all sense. This is where I respect the man because even when being accused of his music being a culprit in everything demoralizing in our country including specific cases of murder, school shootings, etc. Marilyn has responded with nothing but intelligence and dignity making his accusers look like fools. I'll slowly chronicle what I do and don't yet know about this polarizing, iconic figure of shock rock in this thread! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Marilyn's covers are really cool...there's something interesting about all his music but his cover work stuck out to me.

:uc:

Patti Smith

Eurythmics

Something original, well known and creepy!!

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Blackie.png

Is there a band who terrified parents more in the 1980's than W.A.S.P. and their sinister frontman (and only consistent member), Blackie Lawless? I think not.

Rising to infamy in the early 80's with their debut single "Animal (**** Like A Beast)" W.A.S.P. very quickly embedded themselves in a niche that was only a sneeze away from being completely diabolical. With sacrilegious, hypersexual, apocalyptic, and socio-political themed songs spawned from Blackie's fundamentalist Christian upbringing W.A.S.P.'s songs screamed with the fury and rage of a band that was both bitter and angered by the world and held no reservations in holding it back.

More infamous than W.A.S.P.'s songs however has always been their live shows. Over the years on stage Blackie has fired fireworks from his crotch, tortured topless women who were tied to a rack, performed with a heavy steel mic stand crafted out of a skeleton (nicknamed "Elvis"), spat more blood than Gene Simmons, perhaps most famous of all thrown raw meat onto the audience every night, as well many other shocking displays.

After nearly 30 years W.A.S.P. is still going strong, despite frequently having their concerts canceled by local police, having various organizations picket outside the venues they play, being banned all together from performing in some countries, and being one of the most targeted groups of the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC) in the 80's.

So for being sooooo outrageous and yet one of the only West coast metal bands to still be going after all of these years without breaking up, we salute you Blackie Lawless and W.A.S.P. :good

blackie_lawless_b.jpg

Harkat

Reaction score

I am digging this thread already o.o

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ Metal-Though my favorite aspect of Marilyn's career was his glam stage with the awesome Mechanical Animals album my second favorite aspect is his covers as well as he makes them his own while turning them on their severed head! :heheh:

@ Cosmic-I don't know much about W.A.S.P. but my favorite pic in my opening collage is that one where he's pointing to his razor crotch! Great writeup and thanks for educating me on that band!

@ Harkat-You haven't seen nothing yet! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

A couple of cool WASP videos/tunes!!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Marilyn Manson: So This Is Where Evil Grows!?

So folks, I think everyone questions how the more disturbed, the more eccentrics and the darker seeds of humanity become who they are? More specifically:

How does THIS, turn into THIS?
marilynmanson_then_now.jpg

tmpY1NBTJ.jpg

Well surely it must come from the upbringing, right? Let's meet the parents!

Family Pick featuring Barb (Mom) and Hugh (Father) and "Evil" little Brian Warner (Marilyn):

Marlin%20Manson_2%5B5%5D.jpg

Barb and Hugh raised Marilyn with a religious background centered more towards the mother's Episcopalian rather than the father's Catholic background! This school located in Canton, Ohio was where Marilyn was sent for schooling until for various theories he fought to get out of when he reached Tenth grade:

h_left.jpg

images

Surely there must be some element of pure evil in the family genes! Well upon further digging I see that Marilyn father's side came from Germany! We all know German's must be evil! Just look at this guy:

adolf%20hitler.jpg

O.K., O.K.! All Germans aren't evil and they don't all have bloodlines connected to this evildoer but their must be some link to evil in Marilyn's background! Some skeleton!

Wait! I found it! This guy is actually believe it or not Marilyn's cousin four times removed!

Conservative "Evil!?" Politician Pat Buchanan!?
Patrickjbuchanan.jpg

WTF?!

How does Marilyn fit into this!? Fine, so his family looks like "The Cleavers"! But those are just pictures! Pictures lie and everyone fakes for the camera! I bet if you saw them in real life their pure evil would shine through! Check out this evil footage of them being put on the spot talking about their hellspawn child! Read the body language! See the evil oozing behind their skin and their beady eyes! Check it out:

Barb and Hugh Warner '98 Magazine:

**** it! I give up! These skeletons are buried so deep they are in China's soil at this point! But honestly, what happened?

Here are some theories, possible causes and signs of Marilyn's descent into "Evil":

. Was molested by a neighbor several times before confessing what was happening to his parents!

. Was mistreated and harassed in the very school he was brought up in which likely skewered his views on the very theology he was raised with. It's said that the doomsayers gave him nightmares as a youth and Marilyn's conflicting behaviors and taste were developing early on in his religious education. He either was triggered by a distaste from the fear mongers or his very nature was in conflict with his surroundings. Either way Marilyn was not meant to fit in with the religious doctrine and he learned to think on his own.

. Early deviant behavior included: Getting into age inappropriate materials such as his grandfathers sex toys and creating sex magazines and making money off his classmates selling them! So Marilyn was a normal pervy youth! :heheh:

Well, that's all the dirt I have for now but maybe some reasoning will develope as we progress or maybe Marilyn might, just might, not be such a monster after all! Stay tuned!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Marilyn Manson does it for me the way Alice Cooper does.

Creepy bastards make the corners of my heart curl up into a macabre giddy girlishness.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online