Rush (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think it's a bigger deal to their fans than the band, I mean what are the criteria to get into the bloody thing in the first place.

Not one Hip-Hop or Rap act should have been inducted Before the legendary rock bands that paid their dues since the 50's till now. Sorry that's how I feel about it.

The HOF is still a joke, even if they slowly add the deserving artists over the next decade and some of them will die before receiving the honour they deserve.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Four Rush albums I had recently purchased are Roll The Bones, Presto and Vapor Trails with Counterparts still on its way in the mail and I really liked Presto and Roll The Bones. Vapor Trails so far is ok but definitely not something I would have in my top lists.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Four Rush albums I had recently purchased are Roll The Bones, Presto and Vapor Trails with Counterparts still on its way in the mail and I really liked Presto and Roll The Bones. Vapor Trails so far is ok but definitely not something I would have in my top lists.

I think Vapor Trails is the one album they would like to do over Riff...from a production standpoint it's far below their usual standard of excellence. They were considering doing that, going back into the studio and knocking up a new version, but concluded doing a record of new material would be a better route to follow. I think they also considered doing a complete live set of VT, but am not sure if anything came of it.:dunno:

Reaction score
VT was a dissapointing album with it's distortion.

Here is a explaination from wiki:

The production of Vapor Trails has been criticized by critics and fans alike because of the album's "loud" sound quality. Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

As told by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering,[11] though Rush has admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly compressing the audio during mastering.

On Retrospective 3, Richard Chycki, who recently worked with the band on the R30 and both the Snakes & Arrows album and live sets, remixed "One Little Victory", and "Earthshine". In an interview with Modern Guitars, Lifeson remarked that since the remixes were so good, there has been talk of doing an entire remix of the album.[12] He also stated:

It was a contest, and it was mastered too high, and it crackles, and it spits, and it just crushes everything. All the dynamics get lost, especially anything that had an acoustic guitar in it.

On February 4, 2011, the band's engineer announced that he would be remixing Vapor Trails in its entirety. As of October 2012, these plans have been down-shifted.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Vapor Trails is the one album they would like to do over Riff...from a production standpoint it's far below their usual standard of excellence. They were considering doing that, going back into the studio and knocking up a new version, but concluded doing a record of new material would be a better route to follow. I think they also considered doing a complete live set of VT, but am not sure if anything came of it.:dunno:
I wish they had done that one over. The production is pretty poor.
VT was a dissapointing album with it's distortion.

Here is a explaination from wiki:

The production of Vapor Trails has been criticized by critics and fans alike because of the album's "loud" sound quality. Albums such as this have been mastered so loud that additional digital distortion is generated during the production of the CD. The trend, known as the loudness war, has become very common on modern rock CDs.

As told by Rip Rowan on the ProRec website, the damaged production is the result of overly compressed (clipped) audio levels during mastering,[11] though Rush has admitted that there was digital distortion during recording, which also contributed to the damage. Remastering the album would not correct the damage from digital distortion that was introduced during recording, but it could correct the other, more destructive damage that is the result of overly compressing the audio during mastering.

On Retrospective 3, Richard Chycki, who recently worked with the band on the R30 and both the Snakes & Arrows album and live sets, remixed "One Little Victory", and "Earthshine". In an interview with Modern Guitars, Lifeson remarked that since the remixes were so good, there has been talk of doing an entire remix of the album.[12] He also stated:

It was a contest, and it was mastered too high, and it crackles, and it spits, and it just crushes everything. All the dynamics get lost, especially anything that had an acoustic guitar in it.

On February 4, 2011, the band's engineer announced that he would be remixing Vapor Trails in its entirety. As of October 2012, these plans have been down-shifted.
This sums it up. Its a good album but the production prevents it being close to any of my favourites.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I wish they had done that one over. The production is pretty poor.

This sums it up. Its a good album but the production prevents it being close to any of my favourites.

They should never have parted company with Terry Brown...his work was always excellent when it came to getting the best sound on record.

Reaction score
They should never have parted company with Terry Brown...his work was always excellent when it came to getting the best sound on record.

I agree with this, Terry really knew the band and how to realise their goals in getting the sounds they wanted.

With Vapor Trails the band dropped all k'brds and synths and went with the gtr, bass, drums and they went with Paul Northfield to engineer. Paul went on to work with Dream Theater and did a great job at the console (on DT albums)

The terrible sound quality destroyed the album for me and I listened to it maybe a total of 3 times.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online