Rush (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Snakes & Arrows for me was a major improvement production wise. That was a more solid release.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
In defence of Vapor Trails, I personally don’t think it’s anything like as bad as a lot of people make out…in fact I actually love it. I play many of my Rush albums quite a lot, and it’s one of their albums that I play the most, far more so than all that pompous synthesizer stuff they did in the 1980’s, which to me was their lowest period creatively. Though having said that, even poor Rush is 100% greater than most other band’s best stuff, that’s how accomplished and brilliant they are. VT is maybe a bit rough around the edges production wise, and I was interested to just read the reasons for this which Rattlesnake just posted here. But I don’t mind them making a straight rock ‘n roll/guitar and drums album once in a while, with fewer bells and whistles, so it was very deliberately a ‘back to basics’ album I think, and there’s some really good stuff on there – One Little Victory, The Stars Look Down, Ghost Rider, How Is It, Secret Touch, Earthshine, and Freeze to me are all classic Rush tracks. Plus, it was their first album back after that 6 year break when I think most of us (and probably they themselves) felt they would never record or tour again after Neil Peart’s wife and daughter both died so tragically within a few months of each other, so it was bound to sound a lot different to stuff like Test for Echo and Counterparts. It was though I admit one of the harder Rush albums to get into initially, probably due to the fact it is pretty raw sounding, but if you stick with it, as I remember I did at the time after not being sure that I liked it, I find it a totally rewarding record. For me, Snakes and Arrows btw is the jewel in the Rush crown, they have never made a better album, and in fact Clockwork Angels last year comes pretty close, so I think the band right now have never been better.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Power Windows is the weak point for Rush out of their 1980's material for me. It isn't by any means shit in fact I don't dislike the album but every other 80s album from them was far more memorable.

On Vapor Trails again despite the fact it had piss poor production, it had some pretty good songs on it and the album itself musically was good. It was just on a production standpoint that they really did a mediocre job of it in my opinion.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have all of their studio albums and love them all, they will never beat the 70's stuff imo but they can still knock out a tune live. I also like their solo stuff, here is a taster of it...

Geddy Lee - My Favorite Headache

Victor (Alex Lifeson) - Strip And Go Naked

Neil Peart & The Buddy Rich Big Band - One O'clock Jump

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
That Neil Peart vid/song is pretty cool. The horns get to be a bit much in spots, but I love the bass / piano / drum parts a lot.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Test For Echo is another album I really like so far. In fact when that comes in the mail I will have every single Rush album.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
even though I prefer the 70's Rush, I've never heard a Rush song that I didn't like in any decade. Next year will be their 40th anniversary since the debut album and it's amazing how they are still kicking ass in concert and still making relevant studio albums. I can't think of any bands off of the top of my head that don't seem kinda pathetic and kinda painful to watch nearing their 40th anniversary.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are forgetting about Saxon for one Stepcousin. Get a copy of any of their last 4 albums and then play Strong Arm of the Law. Tell me they aren't still kicking serious ass.:hb:

I agree about Rush as well, one of the BEST bands in history period. I've got them in my top 5 of all time.:bow:

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
^^You are forgetting about Saxon for one Stepcousin. Get a copy of any of their last 4 albums and then play Strong Arm of the Law. Tell me they aren't still kicking serious ass.:hb:
oh yeah, forgot about Saxon, they still rule. Their first album was 1979 so they've got a few years before their 40th but I am confident they will probably put out one helluva record that 40th year.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Cool pic of Rush and 3 of the Runaways (Lita, Joan and Cherie) from 1976:

972328_10151762392208465_820891997_n.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustaLhk