Rush (Official Thread)

Phantasmagoria

Reaction score
This album is underrated imo. As a concept album it is kind of fragmented I admit but outside of that the individual pieces shows incredible work that has a contrast between some of the bands most melodic and mellow work and some of their most heavy work yet the songs seem seamless. It was very raw and radical at times yet still professional along with demanding musicianship. The album is dark but inspiring and deep. This imho is an example in the heavy parts of prototypical speed and thrash which opened up the door for those sub genres a decade before most people ever heard of any such genres.

Rush was laying down the ground work in the 70's for such bands as metallica, iron maiden, queensryche, dream theatre etc which = them pretty much being a combo of those bands a decade before in just one tiny power trio and doing it with better song writing and musical ability imho. Rush was a super band in that first decade and the fact that they were so over looked is amazing but I suppose being so radical and cutting edge just confused the masses in those days, and it wasn't until people looked back and realized what they helped to create and influence in different ways in the world of rock and metal that they were finally understood and appreciated by more people.

Hail to Rush :bow:

I love this album!! Bastille Day is one of their catchiest, hardest rocking tunes, Lakeside Park is another all time classic & The Fountain Of Lamneth has to be one of the most awesome, epic, mystical sounding tracks they ever wrote...right up there with 'Xanadu' & 'By Tor...' as far as I'm concerned.

I just love the dark, mystical vibe this record has running right through it..

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the crap that the album got back them from critics or the fans. Personally I don't think it was pushed and promoted hard enough.

But this is not a situation where it got better over time....I loved it when I was a kid. I thought it was trippy and full of life then and I love it now.

:grinthumb
Thought I would add what the band itself had to say about it....

Khor1255

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the crap that the album got back them from critics or the fans. Personally I don't think it was pushed and promoted hard enough.

But this is not a situation where it got better over time....I loved it when I was a kid. I thought it was trippy and full of life then and I love it now.

:grinthumb
I think I may have already mentioned this but during the Caress of Steel tour Rush opened for Sha Na Na in Baltimore. Whether this was an honest mistake from a clueless promoter or something else it is things like this that can make or break a band on the rise. The story is that the fans of Sha Na Na booed Rush off the stage. That had to have been a really bad night for them but I'm sure they understood why such a thing happened.

But I know a lot of newer Rush fans who never took a liking to Caress so...

ANTHEM

Reaction score
I think I may have already mentioned this but during the Caress of Steel tour Rush opened for Sha Na Na in Baltimore. Whether this was an honest mistake from a clueless promoter or something else it is things like this that can make or break a band on the rise. The story is that the fans of Sha Na Na booed Rush off the stage. That had to have been a really bad night for them but I'm sure they understood why such a thing happened.

But I know a lot of newer Rush fans who never took a liking to Caress so...
That WAS a big mistake putting those two bands together and I believe it was a clueless promoter. I like both bands seeing that I have an appreciating for 50's and early 60's rock but the two bands did not mesh lol

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I didn't know about the Sha Na Na billing!! For Real??? :pullhair:

What the hell were the promoters thinking!! :wtf:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is for MP.

I saw two different DVD's of 2112 today, an older one and a newer release that had songs from 2112 and Moving Pictures on it.

Which one is better??

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ Can't believe I didn't see this right away....what did you end up getting??? I would say the standard new 2112 5.1 is just fine on it's own. DVD or Blu Ray :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Didn't buy either one, I have the DVD 5.1 of Moving Pictures(audio only) that came with the deluxe reissue a few years ago but was curious about the two concert DVD's that are out and figured you'd be the expert in the field.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
730000leasidephoto_zpscb8618d0.jpg

Founding drummer, John Rutsey, will not be inducted into the 2013 RRHOF with the other band members.

Read More Here

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online