Rory Gallagher (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I get the impression that even though Donal managed Rory's business affairs, Rory himself made most of the bigger career defining dicisions, He stikes me as a bloke that chose his own path.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read somewhere Rory was very headstrong and nobody dared to go against him. He really didn't want to make it big, I keep on making music for my fans, he said.

Looking back I think it's sad he didn't get more recognition but he did leave us some amazing songs!!

He gets his appreciation from me though and from those who contributed to this thread.

E-Z

Reaction score
Someone who knew Rory (mite have been Gary Moore?) said that Rory had the amount of success that he wanted.

Rory got burned by Eddy Kennedy who was TASTE'S original Belfast manager which eventually caused the band to split permanently and resulted in Rory going solo but also making Rory not trusting anyone in the music business EXCEPT Donal his brother.

Rory was offered to be managed by Peter Grant LED ZEPPELIN'S manager but turned him down on several occasions according to Richard Cole Peter Grant's right hand man.

Last edited by a moderator:

E-Z

Reaction score
The thing is if Rory would have let himself be managed by Peter Grant from the mid-1970s onwards i wonder wot would have happened after John Bonham died in late 1980?.

LED ZEPPELIN finished up in late 1980 and Peter Grant was out of a job and by all accounts not to healthy himself??.

Rory released his JINX album in 1982 then went into self-imposed exile until he released his DEFENDER album in 1987 by which time his health was shot.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I get the impression that even though Donal managed Rory's business affairs, Rory himself made most of the bigger career defining dicisions, He stikes me as a bloke that chose his own path.

I've read that he trusted no one but his brother Donal after being ripped off by Kennedy.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^I think on the whole the manager/band business relationships in the '60's were dodgy one sided affairs with very few exceptions, I think Peter Grant was a very much needed breath of fresh air. I can't blame Rory for not trusting anyone but his brother.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
I discovered this guys music due to this forum(about 6 months ago)Id heard of him but never checked him out.As mentioned no fancy effects just sheer honest emotional playing..

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Today Rory was born in Rock Hospital in Ballyshannon in the year 1948.

A class player who is still greatly missed.

Shadow Play:

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online