Rory Gallagher (Official Thread)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rory self titled album just going back to now. Really loving the melodic sections on top of the heavier blues atmosphere it sets.

E-Z

Reaction score
Rory self titled album just going back to now. Really loving the melodic sections on top of the heavier blues atmosphere it sets.

You must be getting ''mellow'' in your old age Riffer if your listening to Rory's 1st solo album cos from memory it's a pretty mellow affair if you wanna chill??.

Now get back to sum Metallica and bang that head!!!!!... :tongue:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what Taste were like? I know Wilgar Campbell was involved and I have heard that Rory even played saxophone with them.

E-Z

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what Taste were like? I know Wilgar Campbell was involved and I have heard that Rory even played saxophone with them.
TASTE albums are in my humble opinion a lot better then Rory's 'solo albums'.

TASTE the band i personally prefer over various Gerry McAvoy versions of Rory's bands that were to come in the 1970s & 80s.

The 1st TASTE album from 1969 is pure blues/rock with a number of heavy blues/rock tracks such as Blister on the moon, Sugar Mama, Duel carriageway pain, Born on the wrong side of time & Catfish (blues) plus several more tracks.

The 2nd TASTE album from 1970 is called ON THE BOARDS and is a slightly more refined album but still has a number of really heavy numbers on it such as What going on, Morning sun, If i don't sing i'll cry, I'll remember plus the slightly 'jazz influenced' title track On the boards where Rory plays guitar & alto-sax plus several more tracks.

All in all the albums TASTE & ON THE BOARDS are very enjoyable albums infact i have always included ON THE BOARDS in my personal TOP 5 albums OF ALL TIME.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for that E-Z, I would certainly like to hear their version of Catfish Blues.

I was wrong, Campbell wasn't involved.

E-Z

Reaction score
There are x2-live albums/cds currently available, one was recorded in Montreux, Switzerland in 1969 and is called LIVE TASTE and the second live album was recorded at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 and is called LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT.

Both these x2-live albums have 'poor-stereo' sound quality and are long overdue to be re-mastered, all x4 TASTE albums are released on Polydor records.

There was another 'live recording' available on a vinyl record in the 1980s on a German lable recorded at the Marquee club in London in late 1968 but as far as i know this recording has NEVER been a released on cd in the UK??.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is a live version of Catfish Blues from Hamburg 1970. It's pretty good and I did not know it existed before E-Z's comments. It is different to Jimi Hendrix's version (and of course Little Walter's).

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
There are x2-live albums/cds currently available, one was recorded in Montreux, Switzerland in 1969 and is called LIVE TASTE and the second live album was recorded at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970 and is called LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT.

Both these x2-live albums have 'poor-stereo' sound quality and are long overdue to be re-mastered, all x4 TASTE albums are released on Polydor records.

There was another 'live recording' available on a vinyl record in the 1980s on a German lable recorded at the Marquee club in London in late 1968 but as far as i know this recording has NEVER been a released on cd in the UK??.

Despite the poor stereo, is the recording quality good or bad?

E-Z

Reaction score
Despite the poor stereo, is the recording quality good or bad?
The 'sound quality' of LIVE TASTE is ''lo-fi'' i.e. it feels and sounds slighty muffled/deaden like you are listening from the back of the hall!!. Also it has a short running time of just over 30+ minutes approximately?.

The 'sound quality' of LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT sounds 'slightly better' but both recordings could do with 'clean up' and re-mastering. The running time is about 50 minutes approximately?.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemymart123

Members online