Rolling Stones's 100 Greatest Guitarists . . . of All Time!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have tons of respect for Hendrix, and am not a musician but just as a music fan I like a lot of other guitarists a lot more.

I think there has been a glut of old Hendrix material released the last year or two, and not all of it is top shelf either from what I have read.

That is a good compilation your rec'd, but I have all of his best albums already.:D

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
LG, ''Valley of Neptune'' (2010) is top notch stuff.

You should check it out, when you get a chance...

Hendrix today, is more interesting than the guitarist of today, imo.

Jimi Hendrix still amazes, even after 40 years after his death. :grinthumb

Hendrix's music will live on forever.

:cheers2

JimiHendrixValleysOfNeptune.jpg

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score
LG, ''Valley of Neptune'' (2010) is top notch stuff.

You should check it out, when you get a chance...

Hendrix today, is more interesting than the guitarist of today, imo.

Jimi Hendrix still amazes, even after 40 years after his death. :grinthumb

Hendrix's music will live on forever.

:cheers2

JimiHendrixValleysOfNeptune.jpg

:clap: I love that album! :bow: Hear My Train a Comin'

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Neil Young in the top 20? Great songwriter and, yes, very good guitarist, but one of the 20 best guitarists EVER?

His playing consists of strumming (Harvest, After The Gold Rush et al) or hitting the strings as hard as he can (Rust Never Sleeps, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere et al).

Typical of this publication to rank on the basis of criteria other than guitar playing.

Oh and it looks like Jimmie Vaughan is missing (again) because it's more fashionable to reference his brother, Stevie Ray.

Last edited:

Bocephus

Reaction score
I've only looked at the 1st list in this thread, it's not too bad considering the many different genres that are covered.
I'm not sure i would of had John Lennon in the list (even though The Beatles are my favourite band of all time), Kurt Cobain is an even more mystifying edition imo.
I would of liked to have seen Tom Scholz and Shawn Lane included, but, i had a feeling Rolling Stone would have no love for them.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with the list but Steve Howe should be in the top ten.
Any list of Rock guitarists without Steve Howe in at least the top ten is a joke. But what would you expect from a magazine more concerned with pop culture and politics than actual music?

Also, it's easy to say Hendrix is overrated today since he essentially layed the ground work that others have built (quite well) on. But if you look at his playing in the context of his times and even today can find some pieces that make you say "wow, genius" in any context I think you'll understnd why he is so revered. I used to be a doubter. I used to think the experience sounded a little sloppy or cluttered but there are many tracks that I wouldn't have any other way. In fact they are anything but sloppy or cluttered and convey raw power at it's finest three piece version.

But beyond the experience there are just so many astonishing things this guy has done and back in a time when a lot of it was decades ahead of it's time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online