Rolling Stones's 100 Greatest Guitarists . . . of All Time!

Death on Credit

Reaction score
The only thing I like better about the first list (and I know that almost no one here will agree with me, which is fine), is that Lou Reed and Ron Asheton are ranked higher.

I'll take this...

...Or this...

...Over this...

Any day.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I too thought the first lists top 10 was really bizarre. Duane Allman? As far as slide guitarists goes he's top notch but he belongs nowhere near the top 10 in my opinion. I don't think the last list acknowledged Joe Satriani either.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Ritchie Blackmore would be higher, if RS gave some love to Deep Purple. Obviously they don't. The talent of playing hard rock/heavy metal version of classical music at 50th place? Bunch of jokes.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I will never take these kind of lists as anything but conversation material.:nw:

There are so many placements I don't agree with I can't be bothered listing them all.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
I will never take these kind of lists as anything but conversation material.:nw:

There are so many placements I don't agree with I can't be bothered listing them all.

I agree. It all comes down to personal opinion anyway.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Exactly...also even though I give him his due I don't have Hendrix rated at the top of my list, someone...GG I think already mentioned why he doesn't put him at the top anymore as well.

Still they create good discussion but that is All they are good for.:heheh:

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Re: RS's 100 Greatest Guitarists . . . of All Time!

The list is seriously flawed

Here is the complete breakdown one by one

100 Greatest Guitarists | Rolling Stone

I do know that Eddie Van Halen although he is talented does not belong at number 8. David Gilmour deserves a top ten position in my opinion.

Although Jimi Hendrix was very talented I would say more contemporary guitarists have surpassed him. If the list was done in the 60's or early 70's then yes Hendrix but the guy has been dead for over 40 years.

I could go on and on but oh well.

I don't deny that Hendrix has talent and skill but I think he's overrated. In my opinion I think there are other guitarists that surpass Hendrix in my opinion.

"The men in white coats"? Cute.

Except the list was created by other guitar players, not critics.

If anyone really gets a hard rap in the music industry, it's the journalists. I don't understand why people seem to hate rock writers so much.

I don't think everyone hates rock journalists. It's the elitist attitude they sometimes put across that turns people off and that doesn't ring more true than the "white coats" at Rolling Stone.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix would be at the top of my list. He was fast, fluid and an innovator. Tony McPhee, Robin Trower and others come close, but they are not better.

I recommend an excellent compilation called The Essential Jimi Hendrix Volumes 1 and 2.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online