Rod Stewart (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Rod Stewart Compilation Collects Vintage Rarities

Rod-Stewart.jpg

Source Link

Deep cuts and rarities from the early years of Rod Stewart‘s solo career are seeing the light of day in a new compilation, due this fall.

The double-disc set, aptly titled ‘Rarities,’ culls little-heard cuts from Stewart’s tenure as a Mercury Records artist between 1969-74 — a period that produced classic albums such as ‘Gasoline Alley,’ ‘Every Picture Tells a Story’ and ‘Never a Dull Moment,’ as well as massive hit singles like ‘Maggie May.’

While he’d certainly go on to enjoy further commercial success during the ’80s and beyond, Stewart’s Mercury recordings hold a special appeal. As the ‘Rarities’ liner notes put it (quoted by ABC News Radio), “For many serious fans, Stewart’s Mercury years represent his creative peak, and the music that he made during that period retains a special place in the hearts of his admirers.”

Among the unreleased recordings and non-album singles collected in ‘Rarities,’ fans can expect covers of songs by Jimi Hendrix, Elton John, the Who, Bob Dylan and — in an early hint of the fondness for dinner music Stewart would display during his bestselling series of ‘Great American Songbook’ albums — Cole Porter. Additionally, the set includes alternate takes of well-known songs such as ‘Maggie May,’ which appears twice, both as an early demo and a live BBC performance.

‘Rarities’ collects 24 tracks in all, and is due in stores on Sept. 3.

rtbuck

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the Jimi Hendrix cover song from that era is a studio version of "Angel". The Faces used to cover it Live & it appeared on the Faces' "Coast to Coast" live record. Great tune so I'm hoping

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I first put this in the What Are You You Listening To thread, but on second thoughts it will vanish without trace.

Rod Stewart's version of Forever Young has been used in adverts recently, so I decided to listen to his two versions (that I know of). The Out of Order album is the result of Rodney sidelining Cregan and joining The Power Station on lead vocals. Presumably the album was never released under the TPS name because the Stewart catalogue meant greater sales. I'm no fan of loudness and compression, but this album is relatively quiet.

1160543_100307230941_DSC01055.jpg
rod-stewart-out-of-order-1988-back-cover-9564.jpg

If We Fall in Love Tonight is a part compilation and part new material album, I think for the US market. The 'new' slower version of Forever Young is better in my opinion, although both albums are good. Rod Stewart is one of those people who did not really suffer too much at the hands of eighties productions.

5669401591_99b6cab889_o.jpg if_we_fall_in_love_tonight.jpg

As has already been mentioned in this thread, Stewart did not go wrong in the eighties.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Big Ears, Thanks for bringing up Out of Order. I never realized it was w/ Powerstation even though it had so much Andy Taylor written all over it.

Anyway, back in the mid/late 70's I was(still an) a Stones freak (I was still early on just getting heavy into rock music) & as far as Rod Stewart...I knew Tonight's the Night, Da ya Think I'm Sexy, You're in my Heart...not someone a 16/17 year old boy who listened to the Stones, Kiss, Aerosmith, Judas Priest, AC/DC, UFO, Nugent, Black Sabbath...would consider listening to. To me Stewart was a Pop singer aimed at teenage girls. Then one day after school I'm at a friend's house who had HBO & Showtime(which was almost unheard of at that time) & they had on a Rod Stewart concert which my friend told me I had to see. That concert kicked ass & rocked although I didn't really care for him making love to the stage floor at one point. Still songs like Hot Legs & Stay w/ Me really hit home with me. I even compared him a bit to the Stones. I picked up a couple of albums & enjoyed them. I was a little hesitant picking up Blondes Have More Fun because of the disco hit but after hearing the title track I was sold! Then I find out about the Faces & Jeff Beck Group with one of my heroes Ronnie Wood...Wow Rod Stewart does rock!!! Even throughout the 80's I kept buying his records because even though he was releasing his pop hits he still had his rockers. Out of Control rocked with Dynamite, Lost in You, Almost Illegal & even the Poppy Tonight I'm Yours w/the title track & Young Turks still brought us tunes like Tora Tora Tora, & Tear it up. Foolish Behavior featured a lot of rockers & Better Off Dead was a great tune to kick off that album & the Double live album that came out in the 80's was great. I actually have spent the last 15-20 years forgetting about these albums mostly concentrating on his stuff w/ the Faces,Jeff Beck, & early solo work but now thanks to this forum I will be revisiting his 80's work(actually I]ve already started!)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that album Martin....:think:

Terry at the flea market has a sealed copy of "Night On The Town" for $20...I've been tempted to pick it up the last two times I've stopped in but have ended up buying something else. Still a new vinyl album that old is hard to come by so I might give in one of these days.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with A Night On the Town, it's full of good tracks, like The Killing of Georgie, Tonight's the Night and The First Cut is the Deepest.

What I like about Rod Stewart's eighties/ nineties records is that he kept his raw bluesy voice and avoided excessively messy productions. I've been listening to the singles and previously unreleased tracks on the Storyteller compilation album. They are:

Disc One
1. Good Morning Little Schoolgirl (2:06) Previously released as a single
2. Can I Get a Witness? (3:34) Holland-Dozier-Holland
3. Shake (2:48) Previously released as a single
4. So Much to Say (3:13) Previously released as B-side to Little Miss Understood
5. Little Miss Understood (3:37) Previously released as a single
6. I’ve Been Drinking (3:17) Previously released as B-side to Love Is Blue by The Jeff Beck Group
7. In a Broken Dream (3:39) Previously released as a single by Python Lee Jackson

Disc Two
8. What's Made Milwaukee Famous (Has Made a Loser Out of Me) (2:52) Previously released as UK B-side to Angel
9. Oh! No Not My Baby (3:38) Previously released as a Rod Stewart and Faces single
10. You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything (4:23) Previously released as a single by Faces

Disc Three
11. To Love Somebody with Booker T. & the M.G.'s (4:30) Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb
12. Get Back (4:24) Previously released on All This and World War II soundtrack

Disc Four
13. People Get Ready with Jeff Beck (4:52) Previously released as a single
14. I Don't Want to Talk About It (1989) (4:52) Previously unreleased version
15. This Old Heart of Mine with Ronald Isley (4:12) Previously unreleased version
16. Downtown Train (4:39) Tom Waits

The 'new' tracks on the Lead Vocalist complilation are worth hearing again too.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Well...today was half off all used cd's at Record Theater in my area & I happened to pick up Out of Order & Foolish Behavior(I have them on vinyl but most of my vinyl has been stored away up in the attic for years).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Rod Stewart Says the Faces Reunion Is Happening

The-Faces.jpg

After years of discussions, it looks like Rod Stewart might finally be ready to rejoin his old mates in the Faces for a new tour — just in time to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the band’s breakup.

“Ronnie [Wood]‘s office is talking to my people, and we’re earmarking 2015,” Stewart told Carter Alan of Boston’s WZLX during a recent interview. And while the idea of one of rock’s most wonderfully down-to-earth combos reassembling through negotiations with intermediaries does seem wrong somehow — shouldn’t they be drawing up contracts on the backs of bar napkins while downing a few pints at the pub? — this is still long-awaited news for a lot of fans.

While the surviving Faces have long seemed amenable to a reunion, scheduling has proved difficult; since getting back together for a one-off gig at the 1993 Brit Awards, the closest they’ve managed to come is a series of dates with Simply Red founder Mick Hucknall standing in for Stewart on vocals.

And although 2015 still seems like a long way off, the additional delay makes sense: Stewart has already started announcing solo dates for 2014, and Wood will be on the road with the Rolling Stones for their just-announced 14 on Fire tour.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online