RIP Jon Lord

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is on Ian Gillan's official site, Caramba!

"Jon Lord

Our beloved Jon passed away on this day Monday 16th July 2012.

We have lost a dear friend, a brother and a wonderful musician.

His dignity and graciousness touched us all. His music was an inspiration and took us to places beyond our imagination…
A truly great man.

We humbly express our eternal love and great respect.

Deep Purple"

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Blackmore's site made no mention, last time I looked. Coverdale's wasn't working.

Roger Glover's official site had this:

"JON

It’s unthinkable that Jon is gone. My thoughts are for his wife Vicky and all his children and family at this sad moment in their lives. I wish them all strength.

A great sadness and sense of loss hangs over me. Not only has the music world lost a fantastic musician but a gentleman of the finest order. He was a giant in my life, a great friend, a fellow traveler, a teacher, not only of music, but of life. I am devastated at his passing.

RG"

Last edited:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This is from the BBC entertainment news:

17 July 2012 Last updated at 09:55

Stars pay tribute to Deep Purple's Jon Lord

Stars from the world of music and beyond have paid tribute to Jon Lord, former keyboard player with heavy rock band Deep Purple, who died on Monday.

Artists took to Twitter to pay their respects to the 71-year-old.

The Kinks posted: "RIP Jon Lord. A fantastic pianist and composer. With The Kinks, he played keyboards on You Really Got Me. Legend."

Twisted Sister's Dee Snider tweeted: "What an amazing musician and a true gentleman. We lost a great one. RIP."

Former Guns n' Roses guitarist Slash posted his comments: "Sad day in rock'n'roll. Jon Lord has passed on. One of the biggest, baddest, heaviest sounds in heavy metal. One of a kind. RIP."

Actor Ewan McGregor also paid tribute: "Jon played with my great friend Tony Ashton. They'll be jamming upstairs now!"

While jazz pianist Jamie Cullum described Lord as "a hero of the keys."

Referring to a popular make of synthesizer, he added: "I think I still have one of your Moogs!"

Richard Jones of Welsh band Stereophonics tweeted: "Deep Purple in Rock was the first album I bought. RIP Jon Lord. Legend! RJ x."

Lord co-founded Deep Purple in 1968 and co-wrote many of the group's songs including Smoke On The Water. He also played with bands including Whitesnake. Jon Lord Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra was performed at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969

The band said on Twitter: "God bless you Mr Jon Lord. Hasta siempre maestro Jon Lord."

Lord had been receiving treatment for pancreatic cancer since last August.

He died at the London Clinic on Monday, surrounded by family, a statement said. "Jon passes from Darkness to Light," it added.

Rage Against the Machine star Tom Morello praised "Deep Purple's cornerstone/keyboardist. So many great great songs and that incredible SOUND of his! Thank you."

Former Yes keyboard player Rick Wakeman was a friend and said he was "a great fan".

"We were going to write and record an album before he become ill," he said. "His contribution to music and to classic rock was immeasurable and I will miss him terribly."

Iron Maiden said on their Twitter account that they were "very sad" to hear Lord had passed away.

Born in Leicester, Lord learned classical piano at an early age before being seduced by watching early rock 'n' roll star Jerry Lee Lewis and jazz organist Jimmy Smith.

Lord's rock attitude helped Deep Purple become pioneers of progressive and heavy rock.

Away from rock music, Lord composed and performed with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Albert Hall in 1969. He also performed a concert to mark the 30th anniversary of Concerto for Group and Orchestra.

He broke the news of his cancer diagnosis on his website last year, telling fans he would continue to write music as part of his therapy.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
From noise11.com:

Steve Hackett: I'm saddened at the death of Jon Lord. A very nice man who brought the worlds of classical and rock music closer together.

Steve Lukather: My heartfelt RIP to Jon Lord.. A massive influence of all musicians of my generation and beyond..

Tom Morello: RIP the great Jon Lord, Deep Purple's cornerstone/keyboardist. So many great great songs and that incredible SOUND of his! Thankyou.

Iron Maiden: Very sad to hear that Jon Lord has passed away

Joe Bonamassa: I am extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Jon Lord today. One of the nicest and most talented people Ive ever met. Rest in Peace.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You can see by all the comments from his peers how beloved Jon was by everyone he touched in the music world.

When you hear about all the excesses/stupidity/pettiness of some musicians who have achieved fame and then witness the outpouring of genuine emotion from people when someone with class passes on it sure puts things in proper perspective.

I honestly can't think of a one bad thing I've ever read or heard about Jon Lord, one of the most talented and grounded people in rock music. There is a lesson there for the "divas" in the business if they need a role model.

The Freak

The Freak
Reaction score
R.I.P. Never to be forgotten a truly remarkable contributor in the shaping of Rock’s history.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
From Ritchie Blackmore's Facebook page:

Personal message from Ritchie about Jon Lord's passing:

Jon was not only a great musician, he was my favorite dinner companion. We are all deeply saddened. We knew he was sick but the word was that he was recovering and doing much better. This news came as a complete shock. Without Jon there would be no Deep Purple. He lives on in our hearts and memories.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online