RIP Jon Lord

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jon Lord – The Official Website

It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Jon Lord 9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012.

jl_rip.jpg

E-Z

Reaction score
Jon Lord DEAD of Deep Purple

Announced on BBC radio-4 news at 6:30pm London time that Jon Lord of Deep Purple has died today 16th July 2012.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Re: Jon Lord DEAD of Deep Purple

I seriously can't believe it happened. He's one of my heroes and another hero lost the battle with cancer.

I'm speechless.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
A gigantic sad loss for Rock music... another legend gone...very sad news to hear .:rip:

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
R.I.P Jon Lord. Unbelievable talent, favourite organ player too. Got the chance to see him with Deep Purple for their encore in 2004 at Wembley. Brilliant.

E-Z

Reaction score
Re: Jon Lord DEAD of Deep Purple

As far as i was concerned (and thousands like me) Jon Lord was the FINEST Hammond organ player of ALL TIME period.

People like Keith Emerson of E.L.P. and Ken Hensley of Uriah Heep were brilliant of course but Jon Lord was the GREATEST period.

As the late American guitarist Tommy Bolin (Deep Purple 1975-76) once remarked "Jon knew every song in the book".

We're miss you Jon and thanx for all the GREAT MUSIC very well done.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online