RIP Jon Lord

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

TONY IOMMI: 'I'm Honored To Have Had The Opportunity To Play Together With JON LORD' - July 17, 2012
BLACK SABBATH guitarist Tony Iommi has released the following statement regarding the passing of former DEEP PURPLE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"I was so shocked and saddened to hear the news of Jon's passing.

"Jon was not only a magnificent keyboard player and musician but a wonderful human being and a true gentleman. I'm honored to have had the opportunity to play together with him.

"We've lost a true legend but his music will live on in all of our hearts.

"My deepest thoughts go out to his family.

"R.I.P., Jon, my friend."

iommisolo2012.jpg

Titokinz

Earthbound misfit
Reaction score
He made keyboards extraordinary in rock music, and he did it with flare. Hope friends and family had the chance to say their goodbyes, RIP.

Marbles

Reaction score
Not a flattering picture of Tony Iommi. He's morphing into Russell Mael from Sparks!

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
From Classic Rock magazine

Drummer Bill Ward comments: “Reflecting on his keyboard sounds, I must endorse how much he brought in originalist and vision to the defining edge of hard rock. He is well proven as part of rock’s historical journey and will not be forgotten. Thank you, Jon. Rest in peace.”

Singer Doogie White has thanked Lord for “three of the most outstanding and joyous concerts I have ever been part of.” He continues: “You gave me a shot, took a chance and I will never forget those moments, nor how you mocked the tartan suit I had bought for the occasion. There are those who have known you much longer and worked with you much harder – but I will cherish those memories for all that remains for me.”

gguerra

Reaction score
Not a flattering picture of Tony Iommi. He's morphing into Russell Mael from Sparks!

Don't forget: the guy has Lymphoma (A form of cancer) and has probably been undergoing chemo and/or radiation treatments.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
RIP - great loss, one of the true pioneers of hard rock. 'Lazy' from Machine Head features probably the best rock Hammond Organ solo ever recorded. He was the greatest rock Hammond player of them all. I've had the pleasure of seeing Jon perform a few times over the last 25 years, and he was always magnificent. His recent classically inspired music is also stunning - 'Pictured Within' being so beautiful it is beyond words. The man was/is a legend. R.I.P. Jon, you will be sadly missed my friend.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Sad news, unfortunately I half-expected it when it didn't appear that his health was getting any better.

RIP Jon Lord - one of the great and icon keyboardists of all time. :rip:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online