RIP Jon Lord

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Very sad news, just heard this, what a jip, can't believe he is gone, he was a legend a true legend, I will miss him:(

Marbles

Reaction score
Desperately sad. My childhood keyboarding hero. Jon had so much more music to give us in the classical arena.

Having had a PE myself ten years ago I know how dangerous these things can be. Blood clots are difficult to manage when you're under treatment for other conditions.

I missed Jon live during Purple's first phase but caught up when Whitesnake first went out live and on subsequent tours. Was at Ipswich for Jon's final hurrah with Purple (later guest appearances excepted).

He was immensely respected in the music world and no doubt his good friend Rick Wakeman will have something to say in time. The respect was well deserved - he wasn't known as "Gentleman Jon" for nothing.

Thanks for all the music, rock and classical. You were taken far too soon.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've just seen this sad news on AOL and, although I knew Jon was ill, couldn't believe my eyes and nearly choked.

Deep Purple combined Ritchie Blackmore's guitar with Jon Lord's keyboards to create a thick heavy sound, strongly influenced by the American band, Vanilla Fudge. The sparring between Ritchie's guitar and Jon's keyboards fitted well with the rhythm section of Paice & Glover and Ian Gillan's screaming vocals. Added to this was Blackmore's subtle rock 'n' roll riffs, an ear for a commercial hit and a succession of powerful in-your-face albums from In Rock to Machine Head . . . and beyond. For sheer fire power, Deep Purple matched Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin (who influenced both) in producing a solid core of influential British heavy rock. Fireball was one of the first heavy rock singles I remember listening to on the radio as a child. I do not think it is an exaggeration to say that the riff-heavy Machine Head album, with Jon's adept playing on tracks like Lazy and Smoke On the Water, changed my life.

Jon also went on to work with Whitesnake, which he had inadvertently created, by recruiting a then unknown David Coverdale to the later soul/funk incarnation of Purple. He also made an interesting album with Tony Ashton, The Last of the Big Bands. In a relatively recent interview, on Deep Purple continuing with Don Airey, Jon said Ian Gillan thought he could go on for ever, while he (Lord) knew his limitations and thus quit while he was ahead. Soon after, it was announced that Jon was ill, but was battling his condition. He was clearly more ill than I realised.

RIP Jon Lord, heavy rock keyboard pioneer.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

TRACII GUNS: JON LORD Was 'A Real Legend And A Real Star' - July 16, 2012
L.A. GUNS guitarist Tracii Guns (pictured below) has released the following statement regarding the passing of former DEEP PURPLE/WHITESNAKE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"Wow, I can't believe Jon Lord passed away today. His style of playing the organ set the standard by which every rock band with organ lived by. A real legend and a real star. RIP, Jon!"

traciigunssolo2011.jpg

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

THIN LIZZY Guitarist: JON LORD's 'Mark In Contemporary Music Is Long And Permanent' - July 16, 2012
Guitarist Damon Johnson (pictured below; THIN LIZZY, ALICE COOPER, BROTHER CANE) has released the following statement regarding the passing of former DEEP PURPLE/WHITESNAKE keyboardist Jon Lord:

"Love and respect to the legendary Jon Lord. Condolences to his family. His mark in contemporary music is long and permanent. R.I.P."

damonjohnsonsolo2011.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online