Relient K (Official)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Relient K Thread

It's real easy...when a Christian band sings I believe in you, or I love you, pretend it's about a girl or a worldly relationship.

It works on those levels. :flirt

Definitely, and if someone's still happy with applying that to God then it's still no harm done! It's something the artist cares about and that makes it an authentic emotion. Music itself is supposed to be the universal language that destroys barriers even regardless of prior agendas! :)

Fisha

Reaction score

Without even a listen? :heheh: I don't think I've ever in my life wrote off an artist for anything without a listen! I mean it's about music, right?:hm:

Naa I've listenned and I thought it was kind of cool but I just couldn't enjoy it as soon as I listenned a bit deeper, i just found it overtly preachy . I can handle something like U2 with subtly religious messages, but if they're going to tell me outright that i should love god I'm just not going to respond.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Naa I've listenned and I thought it was kind of cool but I just couldn't enjoy it as soon as I listenned a bit deeper, i just found it overtly preachy . I can handle something like U2 with subtly religious messages, but if they're going to tell me outright that i should love god I'm just not going to respond.

Why didn't you say that before dude! :heheh: You came off like you didn't hear a note! :D Anyway, I'm pretty sure they don't even mention God, Jesus, etc. in anything from "MMHMM" on. For me preachiness is not singing about something you believe in. Why would you want an artist not to write about that. They don't tell anyone to believe in it anywhere in their music just like you don't have to believe in love just to enjoy a song about it! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

That was fun Cosmic! :heheh: Maybe I should revisit their old stuff and reeavluate it but I know it's nothing like the stuff I love from them. Cosmic, have you heard the acoustic version of "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been"? It's on this B-side collection:

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been (Acoustic)

Also on the special edition of 5 Score and Seven Years Ago their is a nice acoustic/piano version as well:

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been (Acoustic Live)

Nothing like a good Veggie Tales cover after all. :bonk: :heheh:

I've not heard the acoustic version yet but I definitely want to. I'll make sure to as soon as I get home from work today since I don't quite have the time right now.

It's real easy...when a Christian band sings I believe in you, or I love you, pretend it's about a girl or a worldly relationship.

It works on those levels. :flirt

That's how missed that Skillet was Christian rock. :heheh:

U2 is subtle? :wtf:

:heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Forget and Not Slow Down
forgetandnotslowdown.jpg

This is the last album by Relient K and it's my favorite. I have to say it wasn't a direct hit but the album sank in and now I've completely absorbed it and LOVE it! This album features the best writing ands the best mix of their punkier pop side and perfect harmonies! Just some of my favorites are:

Forget and Not Slow Down
(great energetic pop and I love the lyrics, they inspire me)

How many times
Can I push it aside
Is it time I befriended all the ghosts of all the things that haunt me most
So they leave me alone
Move on with my life
Be certain the steps of left and right don't fight the direction of upright

I'd rather forget and not slow down
Than gather regret for the things I can't change now
If I become what I can't accept
Resurrect the saint from within the wretch
Pour over me and wash my hands of it

It's time to decide
Which is out of my mind
Cause it'll be me unless I put some thoughts to rest and leave some faults behind
I'll watch the glint in my eye
Shine off the spring in my step
And could be blinding depending on the amount of you that I reflect

Cause I could spend my life just trying to sift through
What I could've done better but what good do what ifs do
Oh oh
Oh oh
There's something I should tell you now

I Don't Need A Soul

I listen to the sirens as they sing me back to sleep
I pray that no one's seriously hurt
It feels like everything is dying at the pivot point of me
I listen to the sirens tell me things could still be worse

Cause if you close your eyes and listen close
You can hear the chapter close
And its all rebound in better clothes
And you like the way this story goes
Cause the sun still burns the shadows out
And there's nothing to complain about now

Cause if this was our destiny I'd treasure the fact
And I'd give you whats left of me if I'd held back

But I don't need a soul
No I don't need a soul to hold
Without you I'm still whole
You and life remain beautiful

Departing from the hospital
Ill news shows on your face too well
You're trying not to cough at all it hurts
All options are exhausted all your numbered days are numbered small
I miss you now
I loved you
And I know things could still be worse

This Is The End/(If You Want It)
(my favorite part of the album is the two last tracks, love the piano melodies, the lyrics, the harmonies, the aggressive vocals that eventually turn into the soothing vocal melody)

Candlelight
(fun bouncy track)

Over It
(light hearted melodic ballad)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

These guys have a cool covers album where the cover the gambit! They cover everything from Stone Temple Pilots to Tom petty to Toto to Chicago to even Justin Bieber!

rkkarokeexpanded.jpg

Here are some of my favs which I thought were well done! :grinthumb

Africa (Toto Cover)
(I thought they made a rockier cover of this and it worked! He nailed the vocals but gave it an edge!)

Here Comes My Girl (Tom Petty Cover)
(I like how he has the Tom Petty sneer and spirit of the song but doesn't sound like a cheap clone! The perfect mix of staying true to both original style of the song and the style of the band itself!)

Everybody Wants To Rule The World (Tears For Fears Cover)
(A faithful cover but sprinkled with a signature song change that is stylistically Relient K)

Motorcycle Drive By (Third Eyre Blind Cover)
(props for even covering such a great non-single Third Eye Blind track! They did a great job!)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online