Relient K (Official)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
3705470858_ed7a441d32.jpg

Relient+K+1.jpg

Relient K is a Christian rock group that started off as a corny Blink 182 knockoff and metamorphasized into a spectacular pop group! I listened to their early stuff through a hardcore Christian guy as I borrowed his collection. I wrote them off and never saw myself ever buying their stuff! The first albums were:

Relient K, The Anatomy of The Tongue In Cheek and Two Lefts Don't Make A Right But Three Do

album-relient-k.jpg
album-the-anatomy-of-the-tongue-in-cheek.jpg
36838821;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

Here's a sampling of that era and mooooovvvee right on after that for something better:

Hello McFly, Sadie Hawkins Dance & Chapped Lips and Things Like Chemistry

So when I heard this single:

Be My Escape

I thought to myself "When the **** did these guys become a legit band! Right from the opening guitar riff I knew it was a change. They actually had harmonies in this song! I didn't know the guy could sing (way better than any Blink guy) so THANK GOD he stopped wasting his talents on the bad copy. The lyrics weren't cornball anymore either! They were about faith as they were a Christian Rock band (you wouldn't know it by the three songs I posted prior :bonk:)! The writing in this song is ambiguous as the best Christian Rock writers or any writer for that matter does! :grinthumb

The album that this came off was:

mmhmm
Mmhmm-B000641ZOK-L.gif

The tracks were very varied from gorgeous harmony laden rock, to fast pop punk to harder rock tracks! Here are my favorites:

I So Hate Consequences

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been
(love the lyrics)

Which To Bury, Us or the Hatchet
(an aggressive song with Banjo in it, What's better than that?)

When I Go Down
(beautiful)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: "The Official" Relient K Thread

I am a Relient K fan. They have some good harmonies but you have to like 'white rock' and pop punk. Sure they have made total band member changes, but the members on this album seem to have it together. This is what I call a "happy" album since Matt Thiessen, who wrote the songs, was in a happy spot in his life and his lyrics reflect that.

Relient_K_-_5_Score_And_Seven_Years_Ago.jpg

the longest song ever recorded by Relient K, the piano intro is decent

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

That's a great album as well Magic and next in line! I love your last pick in the mix Deathbed! Great songwriting/storytelling IMO! :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I'm a Relient K fan too. The first song I ever heard from them was this one :D:

I also have the "mmhmm" album and "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been" is favorite of mine for the lyrics too Sooty.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

I'm a Relient K fan too. The first song I ever heard from them was this one :D:

I also have the "mmhmm" album and "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been" is favorite of mine for the lyrics too Sooty.

That was fun Cosmic! :heheh: Maybe I should revisit their old stuff and reeavluate it but I know it's nothing like the stuff I love from them. Cosmic, have you heard the acoustic version of "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been"? It's on this B-side collection:

The Bird and The Bee Sides
relientbird.jpg

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been (Acoustic)

Also on the special edition of 5 Score and Seven Years Ago their is a nice acoustic/piano version as well:

Who I Am Hates Who I've Been (Acoustic Live)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Yeah it doesn't matter what the subject matter is..plenty of bands that sing about Satan get plenty of respect from rock fans who don't believe in Satan.

:heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Yeah it doesn't matter what the subject matter is..plenty of bands that sing about Satan get plenty of respect from rock fans who don't believe in Satan.

:heheh:

Good point! Unless you are against people having personal beliefs in general I can't see why it would be an issue especially when it's ambiguous and not spoon fed. Lots of these songs I can make my own connections to. Songs are for the listener to turn into something that relates to their life through the emotion in which it's created and made. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

It's real easy...when a Christian band sings I believe in you, or I love you, pretend it's about a girl or a worldly relationship.

It works on those levels. :flirt

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online