Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Queen

Votes: 38 52.1%

• Total voters

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: The Doors versus Queen!

You seem to be miss the part where I say "all the factors" Groovy. Queen is the second highest selling rock band of all time behind the Beatles and have beat most of The Beatles records in their native UK. Yes, Europe is where they're the most popular but you don't move 330 million albums in Europe alone.

In terms of sales and chart success alone Queen are the band that rival the Beatles closest (fact, not opinion) but that's not the most important thing that makes me compare them. It's their music. If you break down the versatility and diversity in both The Beatles and Queen's catalogs then they are unparalleled. It's not about who you or I think is most popular. If you actually analyze their music and the work the two bands put together in the studio then you can tell that The Beatles (especially when they became a studio only band) have far more in common with Queen musically and stylistically than The Stones, Zeppelin, Floyd, and all of the other bands you listed.

According to wilkipedia, (and others) Led Zeppelin has sold more albums than Queen.

Anyway, I'm not a record sale person, but here in the U.S.A., I bet you a lot of classic rock artists out sell Queen....easily.

Queen are not in the same league and class of The Beatles.

I think Queen fans make Queen bigger than they were. Here in the U.S., they were just ''another rock band'', not head and shoulders above anyone else, especially in the 70's.

:roflmao:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Groovy.

Besides, pardon me for not being enough of a rootin' tootin' American to think that the US's taste in music is the bar with which the rest of the world is compared. The US only takes up 4.5% of the world's population so....I guess those other 6 and a half billion people don't matter. :bonk:

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, Groovy.

Besides, pardon me for not being enough of a rootin' tootin' American to think that the US's taste in music is the bar with which the rest of the world is compared. The US only takes up 4.5% of the world's population so....I guess those other 6 and a half billion people don't matter. :bonk:

This is why I love you.

Totally made my day. Epic win. :grinthumb

Also:

According to wilkipedia, (and others) Led Zeppelin has sold more albums than Queen.

Wiki-f___ing-pedia, GM?

The Onion is more of a trustworthy source of information, for crying out loud. :lmao:

Last edited:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I have looked at this half a dozen times and can't make up my mind both bands are great ??? I really can't choose so I'm not.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Groovy - I love the Doors, but you have to look at the big picture. This is not a USA-only forum. Since 1975, eighteen of Queen's albums have reached number one on numerous charts around the world. For example, a 1981 concert in Brazil set records for the largest paying audience to see a single performance by one band.

The compilers of the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles And Albums have worked out that Queen are the most popular British band of all time. That claim was made by working out the exact number of weeks that various bands have spent in the British Album Chart. And Queen (CDs) have spent Queen albums have spent a total of 1,322 weeks or 27 years on the United Kingdom album charts...23 more weeks on the album charts than The Beatles and 42 more than Elvis Presley. The band is also the only group in which every member has composed more than one chart-topping single.

Groovy Man

Reaction score

Well, Excuse me...for livin' in the friggin' USA. I can only speak from where I come from.

Here in the States, where I can relate with most music fans of the classic rock era - Queen isn't that big of a deal....nothin' special....if they're big in Europe and Brazil...who cares? So, are a lot of other bands who suck, like Queen.

Personally, I find music fans from Brazil and Britain (after the 70's) to have lousy tastes in music, anyway. Europe too....musically speaking, that is. So, if they like Queen a lot there, that only proves my point.

In The United States classic rock thrives, like no other country. The music scene outside the United States isn't for me....I could care less what they think, because they listen to garbage.

Wiki-f___ing-pedia, GM?

The Onion is more of a trustworthy source of information, for crying out loud. :lmao:

wikipedia and other sites....that's why I said ''According to wilkipedia, (and others)''

Read the whole post, next time. Thanks. :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Groovy - I love the Doors, but you have to look at the big picture. This is not a USA-only forum. Since 1975, eighteen of Queen's albums have reached number one on numerous charts around the world. For example, a 1981 concert in Brazil set records for the largest paying audience to see a single performance by one band.

The compilers of the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles And Albums have worked out that Queen are the most popular British band of all time. That claim was made by working out the exact number of weeks that various bands have spent in the British Album Chart. And Queen (CDs) have spent Queen albums have spent a total of 1,322 weeks or 27 years on the United Kingdom album charts...23 more weeks on the album charts than The Beatles and 42 more than Elvis Presley. The band is also the only group in which every member has composed more than one chart-topping single.

Thank you Annie. Those are the non musical reasons why I say that Queen are the Beatles closest rivals.

Well, Excuse me...for livin' in the friggin' USA. I can only speak from where I come from.

Here in the States, where I can relate with most music fans of the classic rock era - Queen isn't that big of a deal....nothin' special....if they're big in Europe and Brazil...who cares? So, are a lot of other bands who suck, like Queen.

Personally, I find music fans from Brazil and Britain (after the 70's) to have lousy tastes in music, anyway. Europe too....musically speaking, that is. So, if they like Queen a lot there, that only proves my point.

In The United States classic rock thrives, like no other country. The music scene outside the United States isn't for me....I could care less what they think, because they listen to garbage.

I live in the US too but I'm conscience of the rest of the world.

"Most" fans of classic rock live in a country that accounts for less than five percent of the world's population and where the most popular genre of music in country? That's a mighty brash claim.

And lemme see if I'm fully understanding this correctly.....Queen, the band that is in the big picture commercially, statically, and stylistically the closest rival to the Beatles actually isn't the closest rival of The Beatles because you think they suck?

Groovy Man

Reaction score

And lemme see if I'm fully understanding this correctly.....Queen, the band that is in the big picture commercially, statically, and stylistically the closest rival to the Beatles actually isn't the closest rival of The Beatles because you think they suck?

stylistically?
:oyea:

statically...you were wrong too.

Led Zeppelin.

And oh yeah, ''Queen sucks'' is just the the icing on the cake.

The compilers of the Guinness Book Of British Hit Singles And Albums have worked out that Queen are the most popular British band of all time.

That only proves my point about the Bristish's taste in music after the 70's.

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online