Queen. (Proto) Metal?

Would you place Queen in the proto-metal sub-genre based on thier first four albums?

• No

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • What is proto-metal?

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score

Proto Metal? No Clue, but I dig this tune more nowadays than when I was younger listening to "We Will Rock You". :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For the sake of argument.......

What is proto-metal?

Everyone would have to agree on the definition for proto-metal before an absolute answer can be given based on the first 4 releases.

IMHO, I dont think Queen's first albums were meant to be metal, but just a harder edged sound than people were use to hearing.

joe

Reaction score
For the sake of argument.......

What is proto-metal?

Everyone would have to agree on the definition for proto-metal before an absolute answer can be given based on the first 4 releases.

I think that would be impossible Magic.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nothing was meant to be metal in that era as there was no genre called "metal" back then. Also proto-metal is not metal, it is the forerunner of metal.

CrazyConnie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing was meant to be metal in that era as there was no genre called "metal" back then. Also proto-metal is not metal, it is the forerunner of metal.

So would proto-metal be lighter metal or the beginning of metal before
metal really was born?

Hope my question makes sense.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
So would proto-metal be lighter metal or the beginning of metal before
metal really was born?

Hope my question makes sense.

I'm not going to act like I'm the music authority because music is very subjective and you would probably get 10 different answers from 10 different people here ( although most have probably never even heard the term until just recently ). However what I am referring to when I say "Proto-Metal: is heavy stuff that is just bordering on metal, but is not really metal itself . Stuff like Deep Purple, Rainbow's first 3 albums, the heavier Uriah Heep albums before they went poppy.....stuff like that. Stuff that is not really heavy metal per say but also too heavy to be in the same category as a loud yet light band like Loverboy. Too heavy for bands like Lynyrd Skynryd etc as well...not that are really light but they are not really HEAVY either in comparison. The difference between just being hard rock and being hard AND heavy rock, so to speak. The heaviness that helped to bring Heavy Metal to life in later years ( even though Sabbath were already metal at the time lol )

I mean it's not just the stuff that had a huge influence on metal or you could be calling Classical and Jazz musicians "proto-metal" Not to mention guys like Howling Wolf ( by way of rock and roll which also one of metals roots ). To me it's the stuff that is one step removed from metal ...the sound that paved the way for metal to be born.

So IMO it's the stuff that is ONE step down from actually being metal.

Hope my answer makes sense

Last edited:

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
The "hardest" sounding track from Queen would be "Son & Daughter".

BTW, Queen's #1 influence? Led Zeppelin. You hear it ALL OVER the first two albums.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online