Punk rock is dead

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Alive it is, but not in significant quantities and in new forms.

Agree on the pop punk as i never really ackowledged that as punk

Jim

Agreed. Pop Punk is a total misnomer. .A.K.A . oxymoron.

rtbuck

Reaction score
For me Punk Music will never die & that's all that matters....I began listening to it in the late 70's & am still listening to it. Lately I've been going through my old Rock Scene magazines from the 70's(back then I'd buy any magazine w/ Kiss in it & back then I wasn't fond of punk until '79) which are loaded with my favorite punk stuff from NYC... Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, NY Dolls, David Johansen, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Richard Hell, Ramones, Blondie, Television, Tuff Darts, Wayne County, Sylvain Sylvain & the Criminals, Dead Boys, Lou Reed...etc. which caused me to listen to all these artists all the more lately. So it will never die with me...& it must be catching on again in other places as just this week a documentary called Danny Says became available on PPV & supposedly Amazon video. I rented it...It's a documentary about Danny Fields who managed the Ramones, MC5, & Iggy,wrote for Rock Scene, & worked for Elektra Records. It was okay...it was cool for the MC5 & Ramones stuff & Iggy Pop was hilarious when they talked to him... And then this Tuesday(yesterday) a book by Steve Blush came out called NY Rock : The Rise of the Velvet Underground to the Fall of CBGB's which I purchased. On the cover is a photo of Joan Jett, Blondie, David Johansen, & Joey Ramone. HBO had a mini series called Vinyl which was great & dealt with a NYC in the 1970's feel. Iggy Pop Blu-rey/DVD/CD & Stooges Documentary coming up soon so all this is keeping this here Punk fan happy & if nobody else don't care about any of this...it doesn't bother me because I'm in a great mood

mrJim

Reaction score
I long for the day

& if nobody else don't care about any of this...it doesn't bother me because I'm in a great mood

So Buck that is Punk or a punk like perspective.

Over the years i have tried to understand why i like the music i like. Not casual "like" but consistantly enjoy and come back to. The one constant is it's always the music being raw and creativity occuring during raw fundamental cord and power cord use simple yet powerful. Or in some cases no structure at all, like when Mark Freeland came out on stage alone and played that metal garbage can. Or when Bob Weider of the Fems would turn his back on the audiance and act anoyed by them being there.

These are the things that have stuck with me and To me is what punk is.

Hard and fast... Sure but it doesnt have to be... If you dont like it i dont care. Some of the later genre's that grew from it seemed to say its fast and hard, if you dont like it ill kick your ar$$.

Alot of the reason all that stuff is surfacing these days is because its become "in". Folks from that time era scene etc are nearing the latter of lifes journey and people enjoy the story they can claim they were a part of even if they looked down on it at the time. You and I know that first hand, how many folks looked at us strange.

It is possible the stories may encourage more of that creativity but only time will tell.

Either way you benefit, so we dont care. Enjoy.

True Punk will never die and if you disagree, Punk doesnt care.

Jim

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
@rtbuck that's it exactly. Who cares what others think , say or like / dislike..I listen to the music I dig and talk about it to others who also appreciate it. But TBH, I don't GAF if I'm the only one on earth who is into my music collection. It's mine and it's a personal treasure..
Carry on brother. I like your style. :grinthumb

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
@rtbuck that's it exactly. Who cares what others think , say or like / dislike..I listen to the music I dig and talk about it to others who also appreciate it. But TBH, I don't GAF if I'm the only one on earth who is into my music collection. It's mine and it's a personal treasure..
Carry on brother. I like your style. :grinthumb

once again an amazing reply from you...I`d like to add if I may I`ve never been a follower I like it its cool sometimes I wish there wasn't any tags on music it sucks? big time

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.