Punk Rock History

Flower

retired
Reaction score
I just ran across this article on ClassicBands.com ....Here is the first paragraph ~

Even though they never sought out the image, the Standells are listed in most rock history books as the God Fathers of Punk Rock. Perhaps it was because of their snarly, moody look or their vicious, burning sound. Perhaps it was the us - against - them lyrics found in their songs. Regardless, it's a label that they've learned to live with.

The Standells

the-standells.jpg

rtbuck

Reaction score
Vince Taylor was also a pretty big influence

& of course his big hit that was covered by artists such as the Clash, Teenage Head, & the Stray Cats..."Brand New Cadillac"

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Cherry Vanilla - The Punk 1977

The Cure - Peel Session 1978

Sham 69 - Peel Session 1977

The Mekons - Peel Session 1978

The Sex Pistols Live At Winterland San Fransisco 1978

RAMONES - Live December 31st, 1977 (High Quality)

Khor1255

Reaction score
The Shondells, The Who, The Kinks, The Pink Floyd, The Troggs, to name a few.

Motown

Reaction score
Very good detail about Punk Rock. In general, there seems to be a harder edge side to punk rock - Iggy, MC 5, Patti Smith, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys etc. then another sub genre that we used to call New Wave - Blondie, Clash, Elvis Costello, Talking Heads, Madness, Nick Lowe, The Cars, Devo, B-52s, The Police. I never considered Lou Reed or Bowie to be punk. Albums like "Low" by Bowie are close to new wave, but they are more artsy than Punk or New Wave.

When you have songs like "I Want to be Sedated" or "Now I Wanna Be Your Dog" you know that you are listening to Punk.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Although never particularly a fan of the genre,I've always admired that Punk artists from the 70's and 80's certainly were not afraid to speak their minds without fearing any brand of public disdain.Always a very ballsy approach to life and art.Gotta give 'em much credit for at least that whether you're a devotee of their mode of musical expressions or not.I'm generally not too big on artists with little or nothing to say of any TRUE artistic or socio-political nature.

mrJim

Reaction score
, The Who, ....The Pink Floyd,

these are targets for the Punks exact opposite end of the spectrum.

Troggs etc. came from Garage rock which is foundation of much of Punk music.

If you want to see the very earliest form of Punk music look to Link Wray. Link Wray's sound was something special and is the earliest I can find the power cords I enjoy so much. Wray seemed to build from a foundation of unapologetic raw overdriven electric guitar.

Jim

Khor1255

Reaction score
Can't agree. The Pink Floyd (with Syd Barrett) had very punk type songs (Take up Thy Stethoscope and Walk, See Emily Play, etc) and The Who and Kinks who practically invented the genre. Like Grunge much later it doesn't at all matter to me what punks might say they were inspired by especially when it is as evident as what predated Punk and that metal had a HUGE influence on Grunge etc.

mrJim

Reaction score
wow we are way apart, I am simply not in that hemisphere.

Floyd with Syd Barret. Off the top of my head words I use to describe them.... psychedelic, schizophrenic etc. etc.

And none of those words include short 3 power cord songs overdriven raw an played at speed.

Jim

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online