Punk Rock History

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Eberg:

Cool writeup!

Another difference between the groups of each country was that the UK bands were much angrier and had politics as the topics of many of their songs. Some of the most notable political punk rock bands are The Clash, The Sex Pistols, and The Buzzcocks. These groups were much angrier and had more of a message than the American groups....

Except for the Damned, who were the first commercially successful, and eventually the longest enduring as well, English punk band. The Damned, with Rat Scabies, Captain Sensible and Dave Vanian, weren't angry at all. Like their American counterparts, the Damned were just goood fun.

:rock:

Reaction score
Eberg:

Cool writeup!

Except for the Damned, who were the first commercially successful, and eventually the longest enduring as well, English punk band. The Damned, with Rat Scabies, Captain Sensible and Dave Vanian, weren't angry at all. Like their American counterparts, the Damned were just goood fun.

:rock:
I didn't even think of The Damned, but there were a few things I left out that didn't seem as essential for the paper to have:D

Reaction score
:heheh:

I don't know.. they are always just sort of lurking in the background of my mind while the others are up front with the amps on 10:D
They always slip my mind for some reason:confused:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Thanks AK, there are a few bits I sort of fabricated my own beliefs into something I though the teacher might rather hear, but for the most part they are my original views...

Any specifics though?:D
um yeah I was at CBGB's in the 70's(Blonde and Patti Smith) we didn't care about the Ramones they were just some punks from Queens. :tongue: :oyea:

No Mention of the Velvet Underground?

Reaction score
um yeah I was at CBGB's in the 70's(Blonde and Patti Smith) we didn't care about the Ramones they were just some punks from Queens. :tongue: :oyea:

No Mention of the Velvet Underground?

I personally don't see the direct influence VU had on punk.. A massive impact on rock? Definitely, but I don't see a direct influence on punk:D I hear a lot more punk bands biting off the Kinks or Troggs..

rtbuck

Reaction score
I'm not here to be critical of your paper because I think you did a great job & you made your point by saying "I mainly just did it to get it done and it couldn't be too long". So i'm not going to sit here & say where's this band or that band?? I know my version of Punk history would probably be different than yours & anybody elses. Everyone's going to have a different story but there's definitely going to be many similarities so that's why I think you did a fine job. I may think I know my shit on Punk because I have a shit load of Punk records & Cd's, I might not have gotten into Punk until '79 - '80 but throughout the mid-late 70's I read all the articles in Creem,Trouser Press,Circus, & Rock Scene(although Rock Scene was mostly a photo magazine of the NYC Scene), & I read books such as "Please Kill Me"(which is Highly recommended for Punk fans), The Punk Rock Diaries, & many other books on individual Punk artists but if I wrote a history on Punk many people would find holes in it.

I will say though that the Velvet Underground did have an impact on Punk. You can look at a lot of their music & maybe not see the connection but throw on a tune like "We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together" & it's a pretty noticeable influence on "Personality Crisis" by the NY Dolls. There are tunes like "Rock & Roll", "White Light/White Heat" & "Waiting for my Man" which all show Punk roots. I'd recommend reading "Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell The Dangerous Glitter of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed" to understand the roots of the Velvet Underground. It just came out last year.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm not here to be critical of your paper because I think you did a great job & you made your point by saying "I mainly just did it to get it done and it couldn't be too long". So i'm not going to sit here & say where's this band or that band?? I know my version of Punk history would probably be different than yours & anybody elses. Everyone's going to have a different story but there's definitely going to be many similarities so that's why I think you did a fine job. I could think I'm an expert on Punk because I have a shit load of Punk records & Cd's, I might not have gotten into Punk until '79 - '80 but throughout the mid-late 70's I read all the articles in Creem,Trouser Press,Circus, & Rock Scene(although Rock Scene was mostly a photo magazine of the NYC Scene), & I read books such as "Please Kill Me"(which is Highly recommended for Punk fans), The Punk Rock Diaries, & many other books on individual Punk artists but if I wrote a history on Punk many people would find holes in it.

I will say though that the Velvet Underground did have an impact on Punk. You can look at a lot of their music & maybe not see the connection but throw on a tune like "We're Gonna Have a Real Good Time Together" & it's a pretty noticeable influence on "Personality Crisis" by the NY Dolls. There are tunes like "Rock & Roll", "White Light/White Heat" & "Waiting for my Man" which all show Punk roots. I'd recommend reading "Your Pretty Face Is Going to Hell The Dangerous Glitter of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, and Lou Reed" to understand the roots of the Velvet Underground. It just came out last year.

I think that the bands you mentioned were very influential, in punk rock... Dolls, Lou Reed, Bowie, but I consider those groups to be the direct influence.. I don't consider VU as "direct" because they influenced the groups that influenced the punk groups(if that makes any sense:bonk:)
My opinion on the topic anyways:D

But yeah.. you guys lived through it, all I can do is listen/read the stories and songs, then try to figure it out now.. even if you weren't into it, you most likely had an idea of what was going on.. so I am definitely glad to receive any compliment.. or anything above "This is awful":heheh: and for a highschool paper especially, the compliments are a bonus, this isn't something I'd choose to do in my free time:heheh:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Sorry about the previous post I read it back & noticed I wrote "I may think I'm an expert..." which is not what I meant because I'm far from being an expert so I changed it to " I think I May Know my Shit..."

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.