Progressive Instrumental Recommendations??

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You know what you would LOVE Magic? You would really dig the whole German progressive scene from the 70s. Most of those group's efforts were sung in the English language too so they're not too inaccessable. Don't confuse this with Cosmich or Kraut Rock either. This stuff I am refering to is guitar oriented with some keyboard and horn thrown in. Heavy and tastey.

The Italian Heavy Progressive stuff is monstrous also. Imagine very heavy and psychedelic versions of prime period ELP and just flat out bizarre guitar work. The Italians were really into power trios during the 70s.

The reason I make these comments isn't just because I want to make a nod to more esoteric music, it's because the German scene was a truly AMAZING evolution in music as originating from a blend of psychedelic, heavy blues rock and jazz.

I HIGHLY recommend the Brain record label discography.

Brain_records.gif

It's primarily all available on disc and is done mostly from tape so it sounds great.

You are the second person to point me towards Italian Prog. I have been exploring German Prog, bands like Triumvirate and Nektar.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
the fusion prog bands are the first that come to mind when you talk instrumental. Already mentioned Mahavishnu Orch is a good one. YOu can continue with John McLaughlin's solo bands, one of my favorites is Shakti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h2uL8lk2lM
all the shakti albums are excellent although most of them are short.

Brand X-another killer fusion band featuring Phil Collins(he dosn't sing here), John Goodsall and Percy Jones(one of my favorite bass players)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrN4_Eg2Zx4&feature=related

others-Liquid Tension Experiment(dream Theater members with Tony Levin)
NEbelNEst-new progressive band
Guapo-sort of an indie prog band-no vocals
Kenso-japanese prog band-excellent-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7vyTla4fhQ

Djam Karat-little more space but good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbzk4itL7Q

if you are a fan of Ozric Tentacles or Gong/Steve Hillage
check out Hidria Spacefolk(they add a little massive Attack influence too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxH4MEQcX8&feature=related

dark prog instrument without going to metal
The Present

you can also go the post rock bands
Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky are two great bands.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I've just realised that we've all missed an absolute classic instrumental - Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Starman! You are always good for some pretty cool stuff to check out.

Sal, Tubular Bells is a good one, but creepy. Reminds me of some of the creepy stuff by Burlioz.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Ahh yes, Camel is an excellent choice ! Based on Paul Gallico's novel.

I have this CD, and I would consider it the best album by Camel, also:

Camel_TheSnowGoose.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I just noticed the "Creepy stuff by Burlioz", comment, are you referring to Hector Berlioz the composer? His Symphony Fantastique is Epic, although I don't think it belongs in the Prog section. Anyway it is a much better work than Tubular Bells.;)

I agree Snow Goose is the best Camel album.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just noticed the "Creepy stuff by Burlioz", comment, are you referring to Hector Berlioz the composer? His Symphony Fantastique is Epic, although I don't think it belongs in the Prog section. Anyway it is a much better work than Tubular Bells.;)

I agree Snow Goose is the best Camel album.

yes I was referring to Hector Berlioz....his music is creepy. And I find Tubular Bells to be equally as creepy. ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it creepy, but Dramatic, keep in mind that he was a little crazy...:lmao:

When you play his Complete Symphony and the other overtures he wrote on a really good system it is amazing, more than one movie has used his themes over the years.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When you play his Complete Symphony and the other overtures he wrote on a really good system it is amazing, more than one movie has used his themes over the years.

Still that doesn't make Berlioz any less creepier :grinthumb

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online