Progressive Instrumental Recommendations??

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
There are way worse examples than him, he was notorious for his fiery temper and got into duels with rivals more than once, but now he is considered a very good composer.

I'm going to play that whole work later today.:mn:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Hmmm, Nektar was mentioned... I'm listening to Desolation Valley off of A Tab in the Ocean on internet radio as I type. A great prog band.

For some heavy prog fusion, Tony Williams Lifetime offers up some wicked tracks. Tony Williams made his mark as the wunderkind progressive drummer for the peerless Miles Davis jazz quintet during the 60's. He eventually went solo and formed the jazz rock fusion power trio Lifetime featuring John McLaughlin on guitar and Larry Young on keyboards.

Lifetime albums went out of print long ago but fortunately some of them have been re-released on CD. One of my favorites is the Believe It! album, here paired with it's follow up Million Dollar Legs. Both were recorded in 1975-76. Featuring fusion guitar virtuoso Allan Holdsworth - who's solo work is also worth exploring, Alan Pasqua on keyboards and Tony Newton on bass. Lifetime lays down some memorable, slammin' fusion with plenty of texture.

Attachments

• TONY WILLIAMS BELIEVE IT!.jpg
    TONY WILLIAMS BELIEVE IT!.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 36

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmmm, Nektar was mentioned... I'm listening to Desolation Valley off of A Tab in the Ocean on internet radio as I type. A great prog band.

For some heavy prog fusion, Tony Williams Lifetime offers up some wicked tracks. Tony Williams made his mark as the wunderkind progressive drummer for the peerless Miles Davis jazz quintet during the 60's. He eventually went solo and formed the jazz rock fusion power trio Lifetime featuring John McLaughlin on guitar and Larry Young on keyboards.

Lifetime albums went out of print long ago but fortunately some of them have been re-released on CD. One of my favorites is the Believe It! album, here paired with it's follow up Million Dollar Legs. Both were recorded in 1975-76. Featuring fusion guitar virtuoso Allan Holdsworth - who's solo work is also worth exploring, Alan Pasqua on keyboards and Tony Newton on bass. Lifetime lays down some memorable, slammin' fusion with plenty of texture.
I have never checked Tony Williams stuff out, I will have to do that. I like the work of Allan Holdsworth so this sounds like something that would interest me.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's good stuff. Tony gets a little overlooked when it comes to classic jazz fusion vintage 1970's.:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems a lot of jazz and jazz fusion gets overlooked. I will have to let you know what I think when I get my hands on this album.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

Wow I've not pulled out the album in ages, I have it on vinyl and haven't converted. I saw the Tony Williams Band at the Bottom Line, NYC back in 79 and with McLaughlin too.

That reminds me
Bundles-Soft Machine with Alan Holdsworth is another instrmental gem.
Holdsworth goes off on rampage

Expresso II with Alan Holdsworth, Mick Taylor and others
Pierre Morelin's Gong albums are mostly all Instrumental also
f62168cr6v8.jpg

More on the jazz side but I consider it fusion
Weather Report. Jaco was a monster on Bass.

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have the Expresso II album Aktivator, but haven't played it yet...might be time to dust it off.:grinthumb

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Wow, I'll have to look up that Expresso II album. I like the cast of characters.

That's great you were able to see Tony live Aktivator. I also have some of his later discs like The Story of Neptune. Mostly a mix of traditional jazz standards and progressive fusion executed in a uniquely mild/aggressive fashion that Tony is known for. Unfortunately, Tony passed away too young at 51 in 1997.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online