Porcupine Tree (Official Thread)

Stout

Reaction score
Re: Porcupine Tree

I first came across this band back in the mid 90`s with `The Sky Moves sideways'-1994 . Very 'Floydian' in sound ,not bad. But the ultimate album for me was the next one and an overlooked gem at that, which is called `Signify'-1996. It is IMO, Porcupine tree`s best effort, quite dark, complete with brooding ambient, soundtrack passages , guitar riffed driven songs, but not metallic as subsequent albums,dancebale beat driven tracks and the avant garde. This is Porcupine Tree`s best effort, and I`m probably in a minority here when I say I prefer it over their millenium decade output, which is more metallic, thrash driven based at times. I enjoyed the band up to Lighbulb Sun, but after that, they lost me. This is an underrated, undervalued item that people don`t know much about. When Steve Wilson and Porcupine Tree were at their uncompromising best.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like that one too Stout, Signify, but I haven't played them enough to really get a feel for the whole discography yet. I only stumbled across them a few months ago.;)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I have both Blackfield albums and they are superb. This is a collaboration with an Israeli musician Aviv Gefen. They seem to have dropped off the planet however. I have not yet checked out Porcupine Tree so I will put that on my "to do" list.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

I enjoy Porcupine Tree. I have the albums Fear Of A Blank Planet, Stupid Dream, We Lost The Skyline (Transmission 7.1) which is a recorded live acoustic show, and their debut Love, Death And Mussolini.

Of those, my favourite song is a severely underrated one from LD&M, the 8 minute long Out:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

PT is a love hate relationship with me. Love all their early "Floydian" albums esp. Up the downstairs, Sky moves sideways, signify and lightbulb sun. Then they started with the metal influence and lost me a bit. I still love their newer albums but I do find myself skipping parts of songs that have that chuga chuga guitar play. I really don't understand why every metal guitarist has that same sound? Still some great songs Gravity Eyelids, Halo, Sound of Muzak and I'm enjoying parts of the new one The incident.

I like some of Steve Wilson's side projects and solo albums too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like metal so the minimal shredding doesn't bother me AK, but I also like the PF style of their early works the most, that is what attracted me to them.

joe

Reaction score

The best artist from the last 20 years? IMO, yes. Heavenly, astounding, riveting, and captivating. Leaves me in awe and exalted. god.:bow:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score

Well I've recently updated my collection to include Deadwing, The Incident and In Absentia...I've listened to each once and Deadwing is having the best immediate impact followed by The Incident.

Maybe I need to listen to it more, but so far I'm not seeing the fuss behind In Absentia :dunno:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online