popular bands that you hate

runtfan

Reaction score
Ray Charles and Chuck Berry made it popular, if not to the same extent as what The Beatles did.

Well, if we're gonna assume that Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, and maybe a few others were the ones that started the trend of bands/artists writing and performing their own material, who are the other name brand acts that bridged the gap between the earliest rock and roll guys writing their own material, and the Beatles and Beach Boys, starting in '62 or whatever?
I wasn't around when it was happening and I'm no expert, but when both the Beatles and the Beach Boys hit the scene it was still pretty uncommon for pop/rock acts to be writing their own material - that's something that they've always been credited for. After they started dominating the charts, it became the norm and has continued to be that way ever since. There were lots of big pop stars between when Chuck Berry hit the scene and when the Beatles hit the scene and yet the Beatles (along with the Beach Boys) are credited with starting the trend.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
OK, but to use your example of Neil Peart - Rush has only on rare occasions been a band that relied on strictly technical ability. They all happen to have alot of technical ability and liberally incorporate into their writing, but, save for Neil Peart's drum solos, a Rush concert is @ three hours of songs. Alex Lifeson doesn't even have guitar solos in lots of their songs.
Rush's music is pretty complicated to play, but it was written that way and is still structured around the usual verse/chorus/bridge template that has been used since forever. Over the last 25 years or so Rush moved further and further away from their reputation for playing difficult music for the sake of it and took a beating from many of their fans for it.
If you want to bash drum wankery a good place to start would be most subgenres of heavy metal and the overuse of of the double kick. Neil Peart probably inspired a fair amount of that but never used it to the extent that most any metal double kick drummer uses it.
Meg White's drumming is simple and straightforward, but I doubt it was a conscious, creative decision on her part. I don't think she has a choice.Her particular skill, or lack of it, may have influenced the White Stripes sound and style - so maybe she deserves any bashing OR praise she gets for it.

I don't care for Rush. But I especially don't care for Neil Peart. When I go to a concert, I don't expect to listen to some gay-ass 5-minute drum solo which only gawky, greasy haired classic rock geeks appreciate. I don't care how many hours worth of songs they may happen to play, they still blow.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Well, if we're gonna assume that Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, and maybe a few others were the ones that started the trend of bands/artists writing and performing their own material, who are the other name brand acts that bridged the gap between the earliest rock and roll guys writing their own material, and the Beatles and Beach Boys, starting in '62 or whatever?
I wasn't around when it was happening and I'm no expert, but when both the Beatles and the Beach Boys hit the scene it was still pretty uncommon for pop/rock acts to be writing their own material - that's something that they've always been credited for. After they started dominating the charts, it became the norm and has continued to be that way ever since. There were lots of big pop stars between when Chuck Berry hit the scene and when the Beatles hit the scene and yet the Beatles (along with the Beach Boys) are credited with starting the trend.

erm no. The majority of rock artists were writing and performing their own music. In addition to Chales and Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Crickets, Bo Diddley, The Everley Brothers etc.

So all in all the only major rock performers from the late 50's that weren't writing their own material that I cant think of were Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.

runtfan

Reaction score
erm no. The majority of rock artists were writing and performing their own music. In addition to Chales and Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Crickets, Bo Diddley, The Everley Brothers etc.

So all in all the only major rock performers from the late 50's that weren't writing their own material that I cant think of were Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley.

OK, wait a minute...you named a half dozen big time names from the late 50's and call that the majority of rock artists? I won't argue that any of them were writing their own stuff ('cause I don't know whether they all were or not), but they would hardly constitute a majority, which is kinda my point, that the much more common practice at the time was for professional songwriters and songwriting teams ( Lieber/Stoller, Goffin/King,Neil Sedaka,Holland/Dozier/Holland, etc.) to write the tunes and pass them off to the performers.

runtfan

Reaction score
I don't care for Rush. But I especially don't care for Neil Peart. When I go to a concert, I don't expect to listen to some gay-ass 5-minute drum solo which only gawky, greasy haired classic rock geeks appreciate. I don't care how many hours worth of songs they may happen to play, they still blow.

Geez, you got the "Pretentious Indie Fag" part right:rolleyes: :D

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
OK, wait a minute...you named a half dozen big time names from the late 50's and call that the majority of rock artists? I won't argue that any of them were writing their own stuff ('cause I don't know whether they all were or not), but they would hardly constitute a majority, which is kinda my point, that the much more common practice at the time was for professional songwriters and songwriting teams ( Lieber/Stoller, Goffin/King,Neil Sedaka,Holland/Dozier/Holland, etc.) to write the tunes and pass them off to the performers.

Look, the amount of artists I list is irrelevant. You specifically wrote that before The Betales for rock artists to write and perform their own material was uncommon, and I have specifically proved that is not the case. If you really want I could list tons more artists from the mid to late 50's who were writing and performing their own material.

I challenge you to list some 50's black rock artists who did not write or co-write a substantial amount of their material if you that hell-bent on proving me wrong.

runtfan

Reaction score
Look, the amount of artists I list is irrelevant. You specifically wrote that before The Betales for rock artists to write and perform their own material was uncommon, and I have specifically proved that is not the case. If you really want I could list tons more artists from the mid to late 50's who were writing and performing their own material.

I challenge you to list some 50's black rock artists who did not write or co-write a substantial amount of their material if you that hell-bent on proving me wrong.

Look, the number of artists you list is absolutely germane to the argument since we're talking majorities (or not). You listed 6 or 7 of the top artists of the time period which is never gonna be a majority. The majority is probably full of names we wouldn't even recognize.
...and I'm not hell bent on proving you wrong - actually I'm not much interested in what was going on in rock and roll during that time period anyway. I'm just repeating stuff I've read over the years. Other people have researched this stuff - I'm not gonna. I've got a plane to catch and some packing to do. If you care enough about it, research/index/quote to your heart's content ( if you want it badly enough to research it, post links, etc., I'll happily concede:D )

See ya next weekend or whatever.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
The ponit of the matter is, you have yet to give an example of major rock & Roll artists from the late 50's who didn't write the material except for Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis, which I have allready pointed out.

Until you give me examples, we can only assume that most artists wrote and performed their own material.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
The ponit of the matter is, you have yet to give an example of major rock & Roll artists from the late 50's who didn't write the material except for Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis, which I have allready pointed out.

Until you give me examples, we can only assume that most artists wrote and performed their own material.

The Drifters did not write their own music. This goes for most Doo Wap.
Buddy Holly only wrote about 1/3 of his songs.

The most famous "unknown" song writers of music history were a trio. Their names? Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr. Around here in Michigan their known only as "Holland-Dozier-Holland".

Leiber and Stoller wrote some good ones as well.

As far as the Beatles being the "uncommon singer/songwriters", you'd be incorrect. Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry were doing long before they were. They also were the KEY influences in the Beatles.

Last edited:

runtfan

Reaction score
The Drifters did not write their own music. This goes for most Doo Wap.
Buddy Holly only wrote about 1/3 of his songs.

The most famous "unknown" song writers of music history were a trio. Their names? Lamont Dozier, Brian Holland and Edward Holland, Jr. Around here in Michigan their known only as "Holland-Dozier-Holland".

Leiber and Stoller wrote some good ones as well.

Yeah, and add Goffin/King, Mann/Weil, Neil Sedaka, Paul Anka, and others were responsible for an inordinate number of hits in the pre-Beatle/Beach Boy years. Unfortunately I can't find any site online where I can cross reference chart positions/artists/songwriter credits for those late 50's/early 60's years.
I'm not much of an afficianado of the time period so I can't talk in depth about it without referencing another source.
I've kinda always thought that it was pretty common knowledge that in those days the norm was singers/pop idols fronting for "hit factories", like the Brill building in New York or the Motown operation in Detroit.