popular bands that you hate

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Whatever. I just find it quite sad someone doesn't like a band I like because if the fact their not very technically able, whilst completely ignoring their actual songwriting ability.

runtfan

Reaction score
Shes more tasteful than Neil Peart because she doesn't wank over her instrument. I thought I allready made that clear, and no, I did not suggest that if you're not "just keeping a beat" its wankery. Bill Bruford and Phil Selway are very technically able drummer, yet they don't wank over their instruments like Peart does.

In addition, Meg has a pair of breasts, that automatically makes her better than 99% of drummers.

Ahhh, so the real crux of the matter is you wanking over Meg White's bouncing breasts rather than Peart wanking over his drums :tongue:

runtfan

Reaction score
Whatever. I just find it quite sad someone doesn't like a band I like because if the fact their not very technically able, whilst completely ignoring their actual songwriting ability.

Who said anything about ignoring their actual songwriting ability? Meg White's drumming was the issue that YOU brought up in reference to the White Stripes. I haven't, by any means, heard all of the White Stripes stuff, I've heard enough to know that I'm not interested in hearing any more. That's not to say they don't have any good songs - just saying I'm not gonna invest any of MY time trying to find out.
And why is songwriting any more worthy a criterion for evaluating someone than technical ability? Classical musicians have been achieving high levels of technical ability for hundreds of years and most of them have never written anything.
Performance, or interpretation if you like, is what passes between the musician and the listener. It's only really been since Lennon/ McCartney and Brian Wilson that it was common at all for the people playing or singing a song to be the same people who wrote them.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Who said anything about ignoring their actual songwriting ability? Meg White's drumming was the issue that YOU brought up in reference to the White Stripes. I haven't, by any means, heard all of the White Stripes stuff, I've heard enough to know that I'm not interested in hearing any more. That's not to say they don't have any good songs - just saying I'm not gonna invest any of MY time trying to find out.
And why is songwriting any more worthy a criterion for evaluating someone than technical ability? Classical musicians have been achieving high levels of technical ability for hundreds of years and most of them have never written anything.
Performance, or interpretation if you like, is what passes between the musician and the listener. It's only really been since Lennon/ McCartney and Brian Wilson that it was common at all for the people playing or singing a song to be the same people who wrote them.

No, I was not the person who brought up Meg's drumming. Masherbrum was the guy who brought her up because he said he doesn't like trhe White Stripes because shes not a very technically able drummer.

Songwriting ability is a much more important aspect to music than technical ability. Let's look at Michael Angelo Baito for example. The man holds the record for example. The guy is a massively skilled guitarist, but when you actually listen to his music, it's nothing more than a sequence of notes rushed together to create a most dreadful listening experience. There is no emotion or expression in his music at all. And music is an art form, and thus a form of expressionism, so there really is no point in his music whatsoever.

rock artists such as Chuck Berry and Ray Charles were writing and performing their songs at leat 5 years before The Beatles and The Beach Boys came onto the scene.

runtfan

Reaction score
Songwriting ability is a much more important aspect to music than technical ability. Let's look at Michael Angelo Baito for example. The man holds the record for example. The guy is a massively skilled guitarist, but when you actually listen to his music, it's nothing more than a sequence of notes rushed together to create a most dreadful listening experience. There is no emotion or expression in his music at all. And music is an art form, and thus a form of expressionism, so there really is no point in his music whatsoever.

Well, that's fine for you to think that (I happen to agree with you), but mighty presumptuous for you to decide that for everyone else.
I happen to agree that writing is ultimately the most important aspect, but it's not like it's an either/or situation. It's not two opposing, enemy camps, like you've made it out to be. Great writing and superb technical abilities can coexist perfectly together. As a matter of fact, one often inspires the other.

runtfan

Reaction score
rock artists such as Chuck Berry and Ray Charles were writing and performing their songs at leat 5 years before The Beatles and The Beach Boys came onto the scene.

Yeah, but there weren't very many people, at least in pop/rock music, who were doing it before the Beatles and the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson and Lennon/McCartney were really the ones who made it a widely acceptable and popular thing to do.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Well, that's fine for you to think that (I happen to agree with you), but mighty presumptuous for you to decide that for everyone else.
I happen to agree that writing is ultimately the most important aspect, but it's not like it's an either/or situation. It's not two opposing, enemy camps, like you've made it out to be. Great writing and superb technical abilities can coexist perfectly together. As a matter of fact, one often inspires the other.

I haven't once said it is a "either/or" situation but you're making it out that I have. Many of my favorite artists are very technically able, but just because they don't wank over their instruments and chose melody over showing of in their compositions makes me appreciate their music much more.

I also haven't ever encountered one person who enjoys Michale Angelo Baito's music apart from debauched teenagers who think they can play guitar. So I don't think it's very presumptuous at all.

Radiohead > You

Pretentious
Reaction score
Yeah, but there weren't very many people, at least in pop/rock music, who were doing it before the Beatles and the Beach Boys. Brian Wilson and Lennon/McCartney were really the ones who made it a widely acceptable and popular thing to do.

Ray Charles and Chuck Berry made it popular, if not to the same extent as what The Beatles did.

runtfan

Reaction score
I haven't once said it is a "either/or" situation but you're making it out that I have. Many of my favorite artists are very technically able, but just because they don't wank over their instruments and chose melody over showing of in their compositions makes me appreciate their music much more.

OK, but to use your example of Neil Peart - Rush has only on rare occasions been a band that relied on strictly technical ability. They all happen to have alot of technical ability and liberally incorporate into their writing, but, save for Neil Peart's drum solos, a Rush concert is @ three hours of songs. Alex Lifeson doesn't even have guitar solos in lots of their songs.
Rush's music is pretty complicated to play, but it was written that way and is still structured around the usual verse/chorus/bridge template that has been used since forever. Over the last 25 years or so Rush moved further and further away from their reputation for playing difficult music for the sake of it and took a beating from many of their fans for it.
If you want to bash drum wankery a good place to start would be most subgenres of heavy metal and the overuse of of the double kick. Neil Peart probably inspired a fair amount of that but never used it to the extent that most any metal double kick drummer uses it.
Meg White's drumming is simple and straightforward, but I doubt it was a conscious, creative decision on her part. I don't think she has a choice.Her particular skill, or lack of it, may have influenced the White Stripes sound and style - so maybe she deserves any bashing OR praise she gets for it.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online