Plant and Beck?

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Tuesday, September 13th 2011 00:00
From Planet Rock.com

744185.jpg

Beck suggests that the duo may be working together in an exclusive interview with Planet Rock

Rob Birnie spoke to the guitar legend yesterday about his forthcoming Living Legend award at the Classic Rock Awards, and during the interview Rob asked Jeff about whether in this day in age, when supergroups are particularly fashionable, he had been tempted to form a band with some of his famous friends.

He answered: "There's whispers about Robert Plant."

"I met him recently," Jeff continued. "He came into my dressing room. I was playing in the New Orleans Jazz Rock Blues Festival. I said to my manager 'Get out of my dressing room and let me sleep for 20 minutes. I haven't slept all night. You let anybody in here and I'm gonna knock em out.' And then I hear 'Alright. How you doin'?' and it was Robert Plant!

"We had a lovely chat. I think maybe he saw the act; I put on a pretty good show. And I think that there may be something there. Who knows?

"I think that the common denominator would be the Eastern, you know, the kind of Arabic... I love that. That's prevalent in Zeppelin's music. The quarter tone scale, I just love that. There's more mileage in that... the exciting rhythms that he likes.

"We're both pretty busy at the moment but if the desire's there you make it happen."

In the meantime Jeff has revealed that he has a project on the go that is looking likely to surprise everyone. He was particularly closed-lipped about the project but it sounds more than a little intriguing.

"Something is in place at the moment. The surpirse element is key to the whole thing. It is VERY surprising," he revealed. And when Rob asked whether it was more surprising than potentially working with Robert Plant he said

"Yeah, I think so. Well, maybe different. He may even be part of it, I don't know. I would welcome that. He would slot in with what I've got in mind but if he doesn't it's still exciting."

In terms of timescale, it's looking likely that we'll see the mystery project emerge early in 2012, followed by a tour.

More news on the project as and when we get it

-This could be an interesting pairing. Beck doesn't have Page's hard rock predisposition but has more of a funky, jazzy approach. Plant is into experimenting different textures in music. Beck did contribute to Plant's "Honeydrippers Vol. 1" project so it is not like they are not familiar with each other.

Last edited:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
No bad blood since the Yardbird days eh..:D Should be something to check out if it happens.. I wonder who will have a album come out first... Plant and Beck or Eddie, Alex and Dave..:think:

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
No bad blood since the Yardbird days eh..:D Should be something to check out if it happens.. I wonder who will have a album come out first... Plant and Beck or Eddie, Alex and Dave..:think:
Hello Slip. Who knows [grin]...? Plant and Beck have busy schedules while the Eddie, Alex and Dave trio have soap opera issues. I'd bet more on the latter. Page might raise an eyebrow if Plant hooks up with Beck though I believe both ex-Yardies have a solid friendship. I think Page should really do work with Coverdale again. I really liked their last release.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Nice to think about a collaboration between the two legends, but I'll believe it when the CD is in the shops.

Also if I were a betting man Slip, I'd give the edge to Beck/Plant getting something done and distributed before Eddie and Company.(I love Eddie as a guitarist, when he used to play but other than that...I have no use for him....he's almost becoming another Axl Rose in my books now.)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Nice to think about a collaboration between the two legends, but I'll believe it when the CD is in the shops.

Also if I were a betting man Slip, I'd give the edge to Beck/Plant getting something done and distributed before Eddie and Company.(I love Eddie as a guitarist, when he used to play but other than that...I have no use for him....he's almost becoming another Axl Rose in my books now.)

Good parallel LG. It's a shame considering how talented he is. I would go the opposite since the Van Halens and Roth don't really have any other outside projects that pique their interests. You could be right though as to how their interpersonal issues are taking more time.

If I were to compare Beck's guitar sound, it takes me back to how Plant played off Robbie Blunt in his first two solo releases. This possible workings might produce music that will be similar to "The Principle Of Moments" though with a harder edge.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
It's very unprofessional...and it's not like they don't know each other and how they go off when either one pushes the other ones buttons. It is just frustrating they have teased us for a long time and all we hear now is Eddie is freaking out again.:nw:

Back to Beck/Plant, I've always respected Beck as a guitarist, but like so many other great axemen over the years I like vocals in my rock music. Satriani, Buckethead, Vai among others that are enormously talented but I will always prefer to play a rock/metal album with vocals generally speaking. That's why a Beck/Plant record would interest me.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Sounds good to me! I'd like to see Robert do a record with some great guitar on it. I mean I love Walking Into Clarksdale, especially since Albini produced it, but it was just a good Plant solo record, there was barely any guitar on it iyam...

Plus I agree with LG, I love great guitar but if it doesn't have vocals it's a very hard sell for me.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online