Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I believe it is loosely based on Orwell's Animal Farm. I've never actually read the book but from what I gather on Wikipedia it seems to be a one to one match with the characterizations of the animals.

I myself have never read Animal Farm, but I am familiar with the characters and ideas behind it. I can certainly see the similiarities with the album although I think there is a fundamental difference between the two as Animal Farm is a critique of Communism (most obviously in the Soviet Union) whereas Roger Waters was writing a critique of a western capitalist society.

The pigs in the book I believe are very similar to the three different pigs on Animals (in the sense that they have ultimate control), same for the sheep. However I think in the book the dogs are akin to a secret police force used to control the sheep, whereas on the album they are characterised as ruthless businessmen who have more power than the hapless sheep but are ultimately exploited by the pigs, though they don't realise this until it's too late.

One interesting thing about Dogs is that the verses sung by David Gilmour are lyrically brutal, while Roger's verses seem to show some sympathy for the dogs. When Roger seems to identify himself as a dog in Pigs On The Wing (Part 2) - see lines like 'any fool knows a dog needs home' - this clarifies what I think is a crucial difference between the dogs and pigs, with the dogs having to behave like they do to avoid the fate of the sheep, whereas the pigs are intrinsically 'bad' (they are outright and directly insulted, think 'bus stop rat bag', for instance, rather than criticised in general).

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I'll continue the celebration of Meddle with my other favourite from that album - along with the two that have already been mentioned!

One Of These Days

Think I'll add a couple of live versions of this (almost) instrumental classic too:

One Of These Days I'm Going To Cut You Into Little Pieces (Live at Pompeii)

Delicate Sound Of Thunder version

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
I found this on Facebook, so I'm not sure of it's origins, but it's probably not far off the mark. The one thing I noticed is that South Africa isn't mentioned. I know we have some SA Floyd fans on here. Any thoughts?

2myyzox.jpg

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I guess anyone living in South Africa is probably best placed to try and explain this, but I would suggest that it might be due to a relative lack of exposure after Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2 was banned by the South African apartheid government believing that it would lead to anti-apartheid protests - I'm not sure whether The Wall album was banned, but in Europe and North America ABITW II is often one of the first Pink Floyd songs people hear and I do wonder whether the ban has had any effect on this.

The excellent The Wall analysis website mentions the ban in South Africa here:

Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2 - Pink Floyd's "The Wall": A Complete Analysis

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Well the new album will be out shortly, I for one will be buying it. There are a number of versions available as you can imagine.

There will be CD, CD + DVD, CD + Blu-ray & Double Vinyl, the Blu-ray is the version I have ordered and at £19.99 it had better be worth it.

This is what you get on the CD + Blu-ray:

Disc: 1 (CD)
1. It's What We Do
2. Ebb And Flow
3. Sum
4. Skins
5. Unsung
6. Anisina
7. The Lost Art Of Conversation
8. On Noodle Street
9. Night Light
10. Allons - y ()
11. Autumn '68
12. Allons - y (2)
13. Talkin' Hawkin'
14. Calling
15. Eyes To Pearls
16. Surfacing
17. Louder Than Words

Disc: 2 (Blu-ray)
1. Things Left Unsaid
2. It's What We Do
3. Ebb And Flow
4. Sum
5. Skins
6. Unsung
7. Anisina
8. The Lost Art Of Conversation
9. On Noodle Street
10. Night Light
11. Allons - y (1)
12. Autumn '68
13. Allons - y (2)
14. Talkin' Hawkin'
15. Calling
16. Eyes To Pearls
17. Surfacing
18. Louder Than Words
19. Anisina
20. Untitled
21. Evrika (a)
22. Nervana
23. Allons - y
24. Evrika (b)
25. TBS9
26. TBS14
27. Nervana

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I found this on Facebook, so I'm not sure of it's origins, but it's probably not far off the mark. The one thing I noticed is that South Africa isn't mentioned. I know we have some SA Floyd fans on here. Any thoughts?

2myyzox.jpg

I don't know about South African Floyd fans since I've only been living here since 2009 but I do know that India has lots of Pink Floyd fans especially in the college scene and people around my age group or older. I don't think this pie chart is very representative of the world.

Or maybe India and SA simply do not place in the Top 15. I do know that an overwhelming majority of Indians still prefer listening to Indian film and classical music.

gguerra

Reaction score
Well the new album will be out shortly, I for one will be buying it. There are a number of versions available as you can imagine.

There will be CD, CD + DVD, CD + Blu-ray & Double Vinyl, the Blu-ray is the version I have ordered and at £19.99 it had better be worth it.

This is what you get on the CD + Blu-ray:

Disc: 1 (CD)
1. It's What We Do
2. Ebb And Flow
3. Sum
4. Skins
5. Unsung
6. Anisina
7. The Lost Art Of Conversation
8. On Noodle Street
9. Night Light
10. Allons - y ()
11. Autumn '68
12. Allons - y (2)
13. Talkin' Hawkin'
14. Calling
15. Eyes To Pearls
16. Surfacing
17. Louder Than Words

Disc: 2 (Blu-ray)
1. Things Left Unsaid
2. It's What We Do
3. Ebb And Flow
4. Sum
5. Skins
6. Unsung
7. Anisina
8. The Lost Art Of Conversation
9. On Noodle Street
10. Night Light
11. Allons - y (1)
12. Autumn '68
13. Allons - y (2)
14. Talkin' Hawkin'
15. Calling
16. Eyes To Pearls
17. Surfacing
18. Louder Than Words
19. Anisina
20. Untitled
21. Evrika (a)
22. Nervana
23. Allons - y
24. Evrika (b)
25. TBS9
26. TBS14
27. Nervana

I'm assuming the Blu-Ray is audio and not video? What type of audio? Seems like some of the same material plus bonus tracks?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online