Pink Floyd (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not so sure "Echoes" counts man, being that it's a greatest hits. I think everyone was ranking studio albums only. At least that's what I did.

I have to agree BL, I don't have any PF compilation albums, especially their later work they are meant to be played in order from start to finish, at least that is my preferred way to get my Floyd fix.

Watching a concert DVD is a completely different experience, then like Echoes you get to hear a lot of their best songs.

Beautiful Loser

Pig On The Wing
Reaction score
I have to agree BL, I don't have any PF compilation albums, especially their later work they are meant to be played in order from start to finish, at least that is my preferred way to get my Floyd fix.

Watching a concert DVD is a completely different experience, then like Echoes you get to hear a lot of their best songs.

Completely agree LG. How can you listen to DSOTM without listening in order?? I can't do it.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't plan to pick up any compilation albums, I actually hate compilation albums now, I hate when some bands seem to disguise them as actual studio albums like they never leave the best of words on the cover at least.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Yes that is a slick marketing ploy, I don't think the bands really have much control over it, the labels own the songs and as long as they can think of a new gimmick to sell old songs over and over again they will do exactly that.

When CD's first came out, "Best Of" and "Greatest Hits" flooded the stores,,,the single albums came later. Like you I won't pick up a hits package anymore, with rare exceptions.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I picked up Animals, and it for me is competing nicely with WYWH for my favourite Floyd album. Dogs is an excellent track particularly.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
I received both Immersion Sets for Xmas. All I can Say is Holy S**t! The remastering job that James Guthrie did was PHENOMENAL!!!!

I will be getting The Wall Immersion Set in Feb, when released and the Complete Studio Release afterwards.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok I have the following albums.
Animals
Dark Side of the Moon
The Wall
Wish You Were Here
Meddle

Was glad to be suggested some of these, the ones I bought by taking a chance were The Wall and Dark Side.
Just not sure where to go from here, what other albums stand out??

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well you kind of have the "best" Floyd albums already, Mr. Rattlehead. ;) If you're looking to try some of the psychedelic Floyd then I suggest "Atom Heart Mother" but if you're looking for something more in the arena of "The Wall" then I'd go with "The Final Cut" (though I'm probably in the minority there. :tongue: ). "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is great too. ;)

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score
Riff, do yourself a large favor and get Obscured by Clouds and A Saucerful of Secrets. Atom Heart Mother would be a good one as well. While I like Ummagumma, it is not the easiest record to get into. But if you understand that it was a transitional experimentation record, it might ease the toughness.

Obscured by Clouds is the most underrated album Pink Floyd ever recorded, bar none.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online

No members online now.