Pink Floyd - Favorite Song?

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Have A Cigar I don't ever remember hearing this song until 2009, and then for some reason the radio station I listen to kept playing it intermittently. I kept missing the name of it for about four months. I thought it was ELO. :tongue:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have a Cigar remains a real favourite and was what got me into that album. Anything off Wish You Were Here and Animals has impressed me and continues to wow me more than any of their albums.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Personally,I don't kow exactly how people can narrow things down to a certain specific tune with certain artists who have done SO many wonderful things,it's nearly impossible to choose.I put Floyd in THIS category along the Beatles,Stones,Zeppelin and the Who.Really,the only thing that just about anyone would agree on is the fact the "Brick in the Wall Part2" has probably been Pink's most successful tune COMMERCIALLY.From an artistic standpoint I personally can't come anywhere NEAR choosing my facorite tune here.I don't know how anyone can.......................

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Personally,I don't kow exactly how people can narrow things down to a certain specific tune with certain artists who have done SO many wonderful things,it's nearly impossible to choose.I put Floyd in THIS category along the Beatles,Stones,Zeppelin and the Who.Really,the only thing that just about anyone would agree on is the fact the "Brick in the Wall Part2" has probably been Pink's most successful tune COMMERCIALLY.From an artistic standpoint I personally can't come anywhere NEAR choosing my facorite tune here.I don't know how anyone can.......................

Yup. It's practically impossible for me too!

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Like many of you, I couldn't pick one. For me, as a life long Floyd fan, the whole thing has been about going on a journey with an album. Sure, like any band, they have stand out tracks which may appeal to a wider public - 'See Emily Play', 'One of These Days', 'Time', 'Comfortably Numb' etc. But I know for a fact that for many Floyd fanatics(including me) the favourite album is 'Animals'. That album totally tells the story of what they (were) about. It was a complete piece of work and I doubt anybody outside of the fan base would have got any of it. No hit singles on that one :wa

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Totally agree, JTG! Animals is absolutely incredible from start to finish! Was listening to the entire album today while driving to and from work. The whole ominous atmosphere throughout the album, the superb lyrics, the fantastic guitar work... Every song here is first class! I could say that Dogs is my favourite but then again, Sheep is unbelievable in its intensity. And the instrumental solo section of Pigs is just excellent. Too bad the album is kinda short, but otherwise its one of their best if not THE best!

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
I must admit I have only really discovered Animals quite recently but have been very impressed, the three main songs are all great and work together extremely well. I'm also fond of the two halves of Pigs On The Wing, I do agree with Roger Waters that the album needs that light at the start and end to contrast with the rather dark material making up the bulk of the album.

If I had to pick a favourite from the album I'd go for Sheep, I love the piano introduction and the lyrics are very cleverly written with a strong secondary political point aside from sheep = the masses (i.e. that revolutions only result in a slightly different version of the status quo, a few sheep become pigs or dogs but the rest remain sheep and still have to do as their masters tell them). The imagery here is powerful too, when I hear the middle section I imagine the sheep being taken to a slaughterhouse while the line 'wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream' creates a fantastic picture of the sheep revolting.

Although Roger Waters does dominate Animals to a greater extent than the earlier albums, I still feel that Animals is a collaborative Pink Floyd album - Gilmour shines on guitar (and on bass) throughout the album, Dogs features some of his finest work and the squealing pig talkbox on Pigs is genius, while Wright's piano and synth are strong, especially on the introduction to Sheep. Also, it is impressive that music of this sonic depth was created by juts the four band members, I do love The Wall but it's definitely the sound of Waters with Gilmour and session musicians, rather than Floyd working together as a band.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlineclass

Staff online

Members online