Phil Collins doesn't like music

runtfan

Reaction score
But is being a musician a job? I think of how Paul Simon said in an interview that although most people his age are retired, that he can't just suddenly turn the songwriting side of him off just because he reached a certain age, its part of who he is and he'll be writing music until the day he dies.

Whether being a musician is a "job" or not is completely subjective - depending on the musician you ask. I guess some are perfectly happy to retire and live off the fruits of their labors ( or move to a whole other career) and some feel compelled to do it regardless. My dad is 71 and has no plans to retire because music is his job, his life, and his only hobby. He'd be bored to tears if he didn't have music.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but I don't think that anyone should be surprised at Collins' comments. Think about it. You do a job the same job for 40 years, when you step away, retired, whatever... would YOU continue to surround yourself in the things that you walked away from?

I happen to like my job about 95% of the time, but I guarantee you that when I leave this job, or when I retire, I won't spend 2 minutes a day thinking about what I did.

I can totally understand where Phil is coming from here (at least from my own perspective). Even if he may seem to be coming off a bit curmudgeonly, I doubt that's really the whole picture.
Yes, but most musicians really enjoy their craft even at an advanced age even if some feel they have hung on longer than they should have. I wouldn't necessarily equate being a famous musician as a "job" per se. Sure, some get sick of the road, the press and other aspects of the industry but still work on projects or create with other artists. Collins just doesn't enjoy it anymore like he stated. It's not like he was a garbage collector, accountant or parking meter attendant.

LyricalLaurel

EΔЯ ЯESPOИSIBŁE, too!
Reaction score
1 word... vanity.

If vanity is keeping people from wearing devices that help their hearing, they need to read up on the subject and/or see a new doctor. These devices nowadays are nearly impossible to spot unless you are looking. It's a boon for kids with hearing loss, that is for certain.

And call me silly, but I'd take my ability to hear over my "appearance" any day. Hell, just hearing the birds singing in the morning or the thunder storming through the sky is a symphony for me.

Lynch, I have to agree with you on one point - after 40 years of doing the same thing, I'd be leaving it behind. I think perhaps Collins made his comment without much forethought - he can't leave music behind - it's got to be part of him, part of his DNA! He can leave performing behind, and perhaps that is what he meant to suggest. IDK.

LG, interesting what you have said about hearing loss. I swear that the cordless headset I wear at work, on one ear, has to be the cause of my perceived loss of some hearing in that ear. Grrr.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would alternate sides if I were you Laurel, I have no doubt your one ear will show signs of "fatigue" if nothing else, I don't know how else to explain the sensation to someone who has perfect hearing.

I read RF's comment about the earplugs cutting out high frequencies...and I am not a musician. However the Electronic "headsets' that I see many artists use these days are not passive, they are actively controlled and from what I know they simply keep the SPL levels at a lower level so you don't damage your hearing, at least not noticeably when you are a youngster touring and playing a lot of concerts.

I would use them no matter what, I would not wish acute Tinnitus on anyone, it took me Two years to get used to the sensation and figure how to sleep, sort of like a zen meditation technique to get past the constant distraction and fall into proper REM sleep.

Oh well such is life after years of loud machinery noise. Back to Phil, he has done plenty so if he wants to retire then I have no problem with that.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
...yeah we cannot deny that he left us with ALOT of great music!! Thanks Phil!!

:grinthumb

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
What I find baffling is how Collins turned from a fun, very outgoing personable individual to a somewhat angry, disillusioned one. From what I've seen from his previous work and appearances, Collins was quite engaging an interview.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^He's probably coming down with "Grumpy Old Man Syndrome" GCCzep...:D

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
That 70s Guy said:
Earlier this year, Phil Collins retired from music due to his ongoing health problems and now, he admits he doesn’t really like music anymore.
I wonder if the REAL REASON is he doesnt like the crappy stale digital crap they are using now? (Nowhere near as nice sounding as analog)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online