Pet Sounds - Beach Boys Mono/Stereo versions

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
beach_boys-pet_sounds.jpg

I thought it would be great to specifically have a thread about this album cause it's one of the greatest albums ever made, and I was personally annoyed when I noticed that it was No 2. in Rolling Stones top 500 Albums of all time in 2003 which according to Rolling Stones could only be beaten by the Beatles Response to Pet Sounds itself - that's absolutely Stupid IMO, but I'll gather that many people will say that Sgt Peppers is better than Pet Sounds, but there's no fooling about which album came out first! :tongue:

But in many ways "Pet Sounds" created because of the U.S. Version of The Beatles "Rubber Soul" album (I wonder where Rolling Stone Magazine put that one! :tongue:), and what I really wanted to find out about the album was what Sound Formats it existed in - I knew that in recent times there was a Mono version of the album and a Stereo version of it, but what I was surprised to find out is the album was also re-released on Vinyl in Stereo format in 1999 - however the Stereo version of Pet Sounds is a do over - the original album only ever existed in Mono because Brian Wilson at the time (1966) decided it would be better as Mono and for reasons mentioned in Wikipedia about him being deaf in one ear. The Stereo version which has been explained in depth in Wikipedia was only possible due to the process of Digital Recording taking place and the album itself came in with the Mono & Stereo versions in 1997.

What personally puzzled me was the version of Pet Sounds I have is the 1990 version which was released on CD with 3 bonus tracks and to which suggests it's in Stereo, but when I listen to it, it sounds Mono, though after reading all that, it makes sense that it's in Mono! :D

So here's the track listing for Pet Sounds:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

One interesting track I was listening to from Pet Sounds is "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)" since some people have told me that The Beatles song "I am the Walrus" is a song which isn't about the Lyrics, it makes me wonder if "Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)" played a role in songs like "I am the Walrus" being done cause Brian Wilson has said (during a live performance of Pet Sounds) that it's not a song to sing to, but a song to listen to the melody to instead.

Last edited:

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Has to be the most over-rated album of all time. Has a couple good tracks though, but def. not #2 all-time.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Pet Sounds is the best studio album the Beach Boys ever made beyond any debate, but to rate it #2 all time according to Rolling Stone Magazine is laughable. And it is common knowledge that this album inspired the Beatles when they recorded their next album so Pet Sounds is an important record but nowhere near #2 in my library.

I like the Beach Boys, but it has to be summertime with a cold beer in my hand to be in the mood for them.:rock:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate it when people take what "Rolling Stone" magazine or any other "List" has to offer at face value. I like what I like, and no list will change that. I am my own judge of what is the BEST. The only thing those periodicals and list makers can do for me is make a reference point.

As far as recordings being in MONO and STEREO, you have to take into consideration the time frame of the original. The original may have been recorded and targeted for AM radio, which was MONO sound. Collectors like to have things in its original state, which explains why some remasters are released in both mono/stereo.

The only problem I have with remasters, are the bonus tracks. Sure it is nice to have more songs, but those bonus tracks are not part of the original studio release. Jesus, why in the hell release compiltions if you are going to turn an original release into a compilation at remaster??!!!

Edit: I like the Beach Boys, and this is a fantastic album, but I only have certain times it gets listened to. Usually at parties in the summer.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Hey I don't like lists either, but when some idiot comes out and states "Sgt. Peppers" is a better album than "Pet Sounds" - that's crazy!

What's the problem with Bonus Tracks? The album I have is intact - it's not as if their've thrown bonus tracks in through the album, but the tracks which I have to my "Pet Sounds" album relate towards the "Pet Sounds" album. 3 tracks - the first one relates to a session which became a part of "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on my Shoulder)", the second track "Hang on to your Ego" is the original version of "I know there's an Answer" and "Trombone Dixie" which had the elements which would make up "Pet Sounds". The other interesting element which made it to the final "Pet Sounds" album is "Sloop John B." which predated the rest of the album nearly as long as 6 months and Brian Wilson was sitting on it for a long time before including it in the final album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sgt. Pepper's is > Pet Sounds buddy...that is my own opinion.

I tend to agree with Magic most of the songs thrown into various re-releases of old classic albums are included simply because a CD holds 80 minutes of music as opposed to the < 40 minute average of most vinyl records from the 60's. I don't mind if they put a great live track in, or a lost track but a lot of these "Special Editions" are just packed with filler. I want Pet Sounds, in stereo, intact as originally recorded, and there are some fans that might want everything including out takes, but I'm not one of them.;)

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
I hate it when people take what "Rolling Stone" magazine or any other "List" has to offer at face value. I like what I like, and no list will change that. I am my own judge of what is the BEST. The only thing those periodicals and list makers can do for me is make a reference point.

As far as recordings being in MONO and STEREO, you have to take into consideration the time frame of the original. The original may have been recorded and targeted for AM radio, which was MONO sound. Collectors like to have things in its original state, which explains why some remasters are released in both mono/stereo.

The only problem I have with remasters, are the bonus tracks. Sure it is nice to have more songs, but those bonus tracks are not part of the original studio release. Jesus, why in the hell release compiltions if you are going to turn an original release into a compilation at remaster??!!!

Edit: I like the Beach Boys, and this is a fantastic album, but I only have certain times it gets listened to. Usually at parties in the summer.

I don't mind bonus tracks at all. As long as they don't add like every single popular song by the band on it. I prefer how the remastered Bleach album was done, added live versions of the songs off the album.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Lord Grendel wrote:

Sgt. Pepper's is > Pet Sounds buddy...that is my own opinion.

Likewise my opinion is different! :tongue: But I reckon Rubber Soul is better than Sgt. Pepper's!

I tend to agree with Magic most of the songs thrown into various re-releases of old classic albums are included simply because a CD holds 80 minutes of music as opposed to the < 40 minute average of most vinyl records from the 60's. I don't mind if they put a great live track in, or a lost track but a lot of these "Special Editions" are just packed with filler. I want Pet Sounds, in stereo, intact as originally recorded, and there are some fans that might want everything including out takes, but I'm not one of them.;)

I've seen over 45 minutes put onto a Vinyl Record and some of those Moody Blues albums push over the 40 minute barrier. The Pet Sounds CD I have only gives you 43 minutes of music which includes the Bonus Tracks - so one cannot simply say that it's overkill. My point from the original post is "Pet Sounds" doesn't exist intact as originally recorded in Stereo mainly because a Stereo version was never created - it only exists nowadays in Stereo thanks to Digital Recording - so beware the Stereo version of Pet Sounds! :tongue:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
rollingstoned wrote:

I don't mind bonus tracks at all. As long as they don't add like every single popular song by the band on it. I prefer how the remastered Bleach album was done, added live versions of the songs off the album.

I've never noticed anything like that with my CDs - all the albums I've got of the Byrds from "Mr. Tambourine Man" to "Father Along" includes a few bonus tracks after the actual album, but their not like overkill and I found they include quite some interesting alternative tracks which are on the album and well as some rare songs done around the periods their album was done and some Singles which never made it onto the album, so to me it's a great idea! :D My Bee Gees 60s album went one step further and included the Mono/Stereo versions of their albums as well as a Bonus 2nd CD with Bonus tracks of stuff they did around the time those albums came out. The only thing which suprised me was they only included over 30-35 minutes of bonus tracks, instead of loading that second bonus CD up! :tongue:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online