Pet Sounds - Beach Boys Mono/Stereo versions

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
rollingstoned wrote:

I don't mind bonus tracks at all. As long as they don't add like every single popular song by the band on it. I prefer how the remastered Bleach album was done, added live versions of the songs off the album.

I've never noticed anything like that with my CDs - all the albums I've got of the Byrds from "Mr. Tambourine Man" to "Father Along" includes a few bonus tracks after the actual album, but their not like overkill and I found they include quite some interesting alternative tracks which are on the album and well as some rare songs done around the periods their album was done and some Singles which never made it onto the album, so to me it's a great idea! :D My Bee Gees 60s album went one step further and included the Mono/Stereo versions of their albums as well as a Bonus 2nd CD with Bonus tracks of stuff they did around the time those albums came out. The only thing which suprised me was they only included over 30-35 minutes of bonus tracks, instead of loading that second bonus CD up! :tongue:

Very nice, the Bleach remastered album is the only one I own with extra songs added. I do agree with you any rare footage of the band is great and is def. worth a listen.

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
I know this will get me much flak, but I find Pet Sounds a bit overrated. I liked a few songs off of it, but the rest not so much, and to be honest, I judge an album by the amount of songs on it that I like. The higher the percentage of liked songs, the better I think the album is.
It's still a good album, don't get me wrong, but I often see it ranked VERY high on "top classic rock albums" lists, which I just plain disagree with.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
PinkFreud wrote:

I know this will get me much flak, but I find Pet Sounds a bit overrated. I liked a few songs off of it, but the rest not so much, and to be honest, I judge an album by the amount of songs on it that I like. The higher the percentage of liked songs, the better I think the album is.
It's still a good album, don't get me wrong, but I often see it ranked VERY high on "top classic rock albums" lists, which I just plain disagree with.

That's the best thing I've heard so far! :D Cause everyone I talk to about it is always saying it's Underrated! :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
By intact I meant the original tracklist without any additional songs. If they can remaster it and give me a stereo version then I have no problem with that. And seeing that Endless Summer has Stereo versions of the biggest songs off Pet Sounds it can give me the sound quality I want if Pet Sounds was only available in Mono.

I have stated elsewhere, I cannot listen to Mono recordings anymore. I would even use my audio mixing software to make my own Stereo version if I had no other choice.;)

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Brain was about 70% deaf in one ear and could not really hear stereo, but his mono mix of Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums of all time. His brothers didn't care for it though.

The Wilson brothers had a legendarily complicated relationship with their father. Many stories of alleged abuse have surfaced, including an incident where the elder Wilson hit Brian Wilson in the head with a 2x4, resulting in the permanent loss of hearing in his right ear.
wiki

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I didn't know about the abuse from their Father Shadow, but I still like stereo better, even if it means I am not listening to the original mix. As I said all of the hits off Pet Sounds were recorded multiple times in stereo later and released on more compilation albums than I can count.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Lord Grendel wrote:

I didn't know about the abuse from their Father Shadow, but I still like stereo better, even if it means I am not listening to the original mix. As I said all of the hits off Pet Sounds were recorded multiple times in stereo later and released on more compilation albums than I can count.

That abuse which might have or have not happened is irrevelant because nobody can say with any certainity if it happened or not. Brian Wilson said he was born like that, which is good enough for me.

Pet Sounds in Stereo in my view is based on somebody elses interpretation, I don't think Brian Wilson would have had anything to do with it, so in my view the Stereo version is interior to the original Mono! :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Have to disagree with you vehemently about Mono being better than Stereo, especially with all the great programs they have now to do a fantastic job on the remastering process.

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Lord Grendel wrote:

That abuse which might have or have not happened is irrevelant because nobody can say with any certainity if it happened or not. Brian Wilson said he was born like that, which is good enough for me.

Pet Sounds in Stereo in my view is based on somebody elses interpretation, I don't think Brian Wilson would have had anything to do with it, so in my view the Stereo version is interior to the original Mono! :tongue:

I do agree with this to an extent.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
From a creative standpoint you may be right, but from a technical standpoint I stand by what I said.

Besides although Brian Wilson was a genius, after they record the album other engineers take over the finishing process, so their are many hands involved before the final record is distributed.

For purists, they can have their mono versions, I will take the "Bastardized" stereo remixes almost everytime. And as I already stated numerous modern mixes of the best songs off Pet Sounds are all over the place in the Beach Boys discography now.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.