Perfect length of a studio album

CLASIKROKR

Reaction score
Talkin' about age, remember when bands would put out an album a year, or sometimes two in a year? It takes bands 2,3,4 years to produce an album anymore, and sometimes they produce "crap". I say the more songs the better, at least half of the album might be good!!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Talkin' about age, remember when bands would put out an album a year, or sometimes two in a year? It takes bands 2,3,4 years to produce an album anymore, and sometimes they produce "crap". I say the more songs the better, at least half of the album might be good!!

Agreed 500%

Instead of putting out a filler-filled piece of crap thrice a decade, bands should craft succinct, focused 30-40 minute records once or twice a year.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
It really depends on the album. I have the patience to listen to hour and a half prog odysseys, but that's because most of them are high quality all the way through. If say a punk band or a pop band were to release an hour and a half long album it just wouldn't fit, their niche is 30 - 40 minute albums.

So IMO there is no perfect length, it's all relative to the music :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Good point Sal, I just finished playing one of Bruckner's Symphonies that clocked in at about 70 minutes. The CD has been a godsend for classical music, of course most of those compositions have stood the test of time and people don't mind the length of them.

If a band takes 3 years in between studio albums then I find no reason they can't knock my socks off with the new album, as we already said in the days of vinyl one 40+ minute record a year was the standard contract between artist and label.

Harkat

Reaction score
It really depends on the album. I have the patience to listen to hour and a half prog odysseys, but that's because most of them are high quality all the way through. If say a punk band or a pop band were to release an hour and a half long album it just wouldn't fit, their niche is 30 - 40 minute albums.

So IMO there is no perfect length, it's all relative to the music :)

seconded!

IMO, as long as it is high quality music, I dont really care.
Wintersun's latest album 'Time' has been in the studio for about 6 years now. All Jari wants is to make a really perfect album and I am quite willing to wait for that top quality album.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
I agree with those who judge by total time rather than by number of tracks. Maybe I got used to that from spending my youth listening to Jackson Browne albums that ran, like most LPs of the day, about 40 minutes, but had only 8 tracks on them.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Staff online

Members online