Giving “One Hit Wonders” A Second Chance

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread.

In 1990, a band called The Sundays came out with their debut album, "Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic." Their big hit song was "Here's Where The Story Ends" which hit #1 on the US Alternative charts. Even though I loved the song and the vocals of the singer, I never bought the album. Recently, Spotify played another song from that same album called, "Can't Be Sure" which I think is also pretty good. Looks like it was a minor hit in the UK but never broke here in the US. It reminded me of what a lovely voice Harriet Wheeler possesses.
I purchased this album a decade ago after Hideous Towns got some airwave time on the national broadcaster and for me could recall hearing Can't be sure on the radio or somewhere back in its day.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Curve ball job:this was actually their second release / the first being Dr. Mabuse... which was as catchy as a dose of scabies... think they were from Dusseldorf
Propaganda - Duel.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I’m going to start with Tommy Tutone; specifically Tommy Tutone 2.
I bought the single, “867-5309 Jenny” released from the album Tommy Tutones 2, in 1981 but I had never listened to anything else from that album and I do not think any other singles were released from that album.
This song had great success when it was released and many today still recognize it.
I’m listening to the album, Tommy Tutones 2 for the first time today.
If 8675309 Jenny is anything to go by I would of thought the rest of the album would be a real hoot!

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Good idea for a thread.

In 1990, a band called The Sundays came out with their debut album, "Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic." Their big hit song was "Here's Where The Story Ends" which hit #1 on the US Alternative charts. Even though I loved the song and the vocals of the singer, I never bought the album. Recently, Spotify played another song from that same album called, "Can't Be Sure" which I think is also pretty good. Looks like it was a minor hit in the UK but never broke here in the US. It reminded me of what a lovely voice Harriet Wheeler possesses.

View attachment 214127
I'm sure I used to hear "Can't be sure" on the radio back in the early 90s, though oddly nobody else could remember the Sundays. 10 or so years ago a musical guru was playing interesting though obscure music for people who wanted to hear decent modern music, so on the airwaves came Hideous Towns, which was just as classic.

PS EDIT: I need to stop posting similar comments over and over! :bonk:

Last edited:

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Anybody here or over the pond ever remember this group and this song??

Jet~ Are You Gonna Be My Girl

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I've heard of Jet and have come across one or two of their songs, their a metal outfit? That song Are you gonna be my girl I know.

I don't know if it's true or not, were the band inspired by the Paul McCartney and Wings song "Jet" and the way that song plays out or if it's total rubbish.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I ran out and bought that album after hearing “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”. Some of the other songs are not too bad so it gets a listen maybe once a year.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I've heard of Jet and have come across one or two of their songs, their a metal outfit? That song Are you gonna be my girl I know.

I don't know if it's true or not, were the band inspired by the Paul McCartney and Wings song "Jet" and the way that song plays out or if it's total rubbish.
No Clue there CP/M funny when you find out who brought a band out into the main stream..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody here or over the pond ever remember this group and this song??

Jet~ Are You Gonna Be My Girl
I vaguely remember this. We have a college radio station here that played this song.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.