Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

joe

Reaction score
Danish instrumental prog/jazz-fusion band Secret Oyster is similar in vein to the Mahavishnu Orchestra. With Furtive Pearl(1973) the music is high energy and somewhat "raw and acidic". The follow-up Lp, Sea-Sons(1974) is toned down with more complex passages and experimental pyschedelic soundscapes. Subsequent releases follows the same formula.

joe

Reaction score
Flashy, prog/hard rockers Dillinger from Canada are heavy driven keyboards(organ, Moog, mellotron) with sonic guitar interplay and interludes of a jazzy flute and sax. The s/t Lp(1974) only features four songs with the epic Live and Return(I still haven't figured out how to do the split/movie for Youtube uploads:confused:). Don't Lie To The Band released in 1976 sees more of a hard rock theme though some of the songs are in the 6-8 minute range thus allowing the musicians to showcase thier talents. The group disbanded and some of the members went onto to form The Hunt with the s/t debut, a fantastic hard rock album with prog. leanings. The next two albums were an utter disappointment.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Kaipa were popular in Sweden during the 70's, but never gained a whole lot of attention outside of Europe, and are only recently recieving some worldwide recognition with the release of their fantastic 2010 album "In The Wake Of Evolution".

This song though is from 1976, and it's a very tasty suite indeed :D

joe

Reaction score
^^^ I didn't realise Roine Stolt was a member of this band, especially back in the 70's. Nice stuff.

joe

Reaction score
Scottish symphonic prog band Beggar's Opera were active through out the 70's and then reformed in the late 2000's. Vibes of The Nice, Barclay James Harvest, Yes and Genesis. Thier first three albums are a good addition for a prog enthusiast collection. Good stuff, but not great.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I personally love Act One...I think it has to be one of the best undiscovered gems of the early days of prog.

I just picked up a new CD of that one about two months ago...took me a while to track it down.

joe

Reaction score
^^^LG: Act One is a good album. I prefer Waters of Change, a little more polished. They lost me after the third album.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I love the classical bits and pieces all through Act One, I have all the original works and the first time I played that album I fell in love with it. Not the greatest production values, but the songs and the playing makes up for that for me.

I think I have three of their albums, I'll look to see which others are laying around the place.

joe

Reaction score
Swiss krautrockers(huh:think:), Krokodil started out as a blues/prog rock artist with thier first Lp labeling them as the Swiss Groundhogs. They added psychedelic tinges to the second album. It was the third album, Invisible World Revealed(1971) that the band put it all together with use of a mellotron, organ, harmonica, flute and even a sitar. The eastern influences gives it a exotic and stoned out texture. Imagine yourself in a narrow street market in the middle east with the aroma of spices and hash. I haven't heard anylike this. Brilliant.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online