Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
US Symphonic Progressive rock band who often times gets compared to Yes, and for good reason
although I do believe that they have added a good bit of themselves to the mix, and are not the rip off that many feel they are .There are some blistering, unique and amazing passages with fiery guitar work and dual keyboards (Hammond, Moog, piano, Clavinet, Mellotron/Chamberlin, etc.) that really do set them apart from from their obvious influences.
I own their 1976 release Ardour on vinyl ( and CDR ) .Alot of people rip on the lyrical content calling it goofy because the songs revolve around aliens , higher dimensions and Atlantis, but I guess I'm a dork because I like that kind of stuff haha
They also have a sophomore release entitled Open Up that I plan to hunt down ..

ETHOS :

joe

Reaction score
The Dutch answer to ELP. Trace was somewhat of a "supergroup" from within thier country led by keyboard wizard Rick van der Linden and a rhythm section of bass and drums. Flamboyant keyboard driven symphonic rock. The s/t debut from 1974 and Birds(1975) is dazzling and glittering, though the final Lp lacks in energy and has deficient material to the first two albums.

joe

Reaction score
National Health consisted with most of the members from Hatfield and the North. One of the last great Canterbury scene infuenced prog/rock bands releasing two albums in '77-'78, following later with a tribute album in 1982. More jazzy than the typical Canterbury sounding artist. The s/t debut featured female vocalist Amanda parsons.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I can remember the first time I heard the term "progressive rock" and I was 11 years old. My youngest brother told me that was his favorite music...of course I had no clue what music that was. I didn't learn what it meant to be "progressive rock" until about 5 years ago. Therefore, I am still in the discovery phase and you guys have listed a TON of prog I have never heard of before.....:good

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Yay good one Sox....even Ive got a UTOPIA album somewhere....a band not mentioned on CRF
Not that obscure..but highly rated were BRAND X featuring Phil Collins

HERE AND NOW were a band often linked with GONG..they have supported them on many occasions...even teamed up with them on recordings...been around for a long time

joe

Reaction score
^^^ Some excellent examples guys. The first two Brand X Lp's are fantastic pieces of "fast-fusion".

joe

Reaction score
Deep and dark, heavy prog/blues out of the UK, Steel Mill released one album, The Green-Eyed God in 1972. Some excellent hard hitting riffs combined with sax and flute interplay. Haunting and intricate, it does play on your imagination.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice Joe. I own a copy of Green Eyed God .

An American progressive rock band founded in the fall of 1973. The band recorded two albums Boris - 1975 and Sacred Baboon -1976, before breaking up in the spring of 1980. Described as a blend of Yes and Gentle Giant. Break-neck tempos, changing time signatures, and diverse instrumentation are hallmarks of their sound.
THIS STUFF ROCKS !

YEZDA URFA :

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Fushion Orchestra, from London, active 1969-1975, with female vocalist who also plays the keys and flute.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi

Members online