Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

joe

Reaction score
A thread dedicated to lesser known progressive rock artists from 1967 to 1980. The development of prog/rock started in 1967(arguable) with The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed and Procol Harum's s/t debut, followed by Ars Longa Vita Brevis by The Nice. But it was In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson in 1969 that really stapled the genre of prog/rock. Later followed by Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Genesis, ELP, Camel, etc.

By the end of the seventies there was a handful of sub-genres that had developed through the decade. These included the Canterbury Scene(Gong, Soft Machine, Caravan); Eclectic Prog.(King Crimson, Van Der Graaf Generator, Gentle Giant); Jazz-Rock Fusion(Return To Forever, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Brand X); Symphonic Prog(Yes, Genesis, ELP); Krautrock(Can, Amon Duul II); Psychedelic Space Rock(Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Eloy); Progressive Electronic(Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk); Rock in Opposition(Henry Cow, Univers Zero); Rock Progressivo Italiana(PFM); Crossover Prog(Mooody Blues, Supertramp).

Feel free to throw anything into the mix, including the kitchen sink. Don't feel defined by the parameters as most of these progressive rock artists ventured and experimented where there was no boundries.

joe

Reaction score
Although not really an obcsure band, IMO The Nice don't recieve much acclaim to development of prog/rock. In 1967 they released The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack which consisted of psychedelia, jazz, and classical leanings and contained some prog. pieces like Rondo and War and Peace.

It was on Ars Longa Vita Brevis that Kieth Emerson took charge and the album was a pioneer of symphonic trends that would become the development of Progressive rock. Unrewarded trailblazers that later bands would top with skill and flair.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice thread ,Joe :grinthumb

Another one of my favorite musical genres ,especially in the years that you
have defined in your introduction, I also like some of the bands from the 90's and onward, but the 80's were definitely a hum drum decade for progressive
rock w/ only progressive metal creating anything of note, IMO .

No worries there though, because I'm sure we can fill page after page with great bands dealing with the era outlined. Hopefully a few of our fellow prog enthusiast can help us out a bit :D

I love a lot the Italian bands ( along with the Sweds ,Germans ,English etc. )
so I guess I will start there first.

Though they did leave behind some demo tapes that were later released on CD as a sort of unofficial follow up the self titled debut was their one and only official LP. From 1973 ..

ALPHATAURUS :

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Good idea Joe, I am somewhat comforted by the fact I know all the bands in your OP.:D But there are a host of obscure English bands that Sweaty and Sox have introduced me to that could fit into this thread, quite a few only made one or two albums and disbanded.

joe

Reaction score
Gentleman, thanx for the encouragement. Totally agree with you Wolf, the 80's were not a progressive decade. Some of the "classic" prog. bands had disbanded, were on a compositional decline, or took a prog/pop leaning like Yes(90125) and a Phil Collins led Genesis. The "Neo-Prog":zzz: movement of the early/mid 80's led by Marillion had virtually no impact here in North America, but was popular in the UK. No question the prog/metal sub-genre has had a huge influence on metal.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I was going to load some LONE STAR , STARCASTLE and GRYPHON Joe .....but for some reason [grrr] they arent working......so I will get back to you on this.
p.s great thread....lots of Prog rock bands....that never got the credit they deserved :cheers2

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
It was on Ars Longa Vita Brevis that Kieth Emerson took charge and the album was a pioneer of symphonic trends that would become the development of Progressive rock. Unrewarded trailblazers that later bands would top with skill and flair.

But I don't believe they were "topped".

:drums:

joe

Reaction score
Once again, not an obscure artist, the Mahavishnu Orchestra is not well known in mainstream circles and is one foremost jazz-rock fusion bands of the early 70's with thier suberb two releases, The Inner Mounting Flame(1971) and Birds of Fire(1972). Leader John McLaughlin had played with Buddy Miles and Tony Williams Lifetime and keyboardist Jan Hammer went on to join up with Jeff Beck. After three albums there was a completely different line up for subsequent releases.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online