Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

joe

Reaction score
Out of England, Family's debut Music In A Doll's House(1968) is a blend of folk, psych, blues, rock and soul. Eclectic progressive poetry and magic. Led by vocalist Roger Chapman and guitarist John "Charlie" Whitney, Family's subsequent releases were more of rock/blues direction. Original bassist Ric Grech went to the supergroup Blind Faith and Chapman and Whitney formed The Streetwalkers after the demise of Family.

joe

Reaction score
A Dutch instrumental prog. band influenced by thier homeland brothers Focus and Yes. Finch released three albums from 75-77 with the Glory of the Inner Force being the most critcally acclaimed.

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
Excellent thread joe. A bunch of my favorite bands have been cited already: Family, Touch, The Nice, and Nektar.

Gypsy was a prog band from Minnesota. Were together for about 6 years (1968-1974). Released 4 albums: Gypsy, In The Garden, Antithesis, and Unlock The Gates. Good stuff. A couple from "In The Garden"

joe

Reaction score
Mercator Projected by East of Eden in 1969 is a spell binding work of free-form jazz, blues, rock and psychedelia with textures of middle east/arabic ambience. Somewhat raw and experimental, a challenging listening experience. Another piece of the framework in the development of progressive rock.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Another Scandinavian band, this time hailing from Norway.These guys often get tagged
as being a mixture of Uriah Heep & Yes, which I guess I can see somewhat, but they are
much more then just a rehashing of other bands formulas ( for lack of a better word ).

They are another great example of why I love so much of the Norseman's electric endeavors .
These guys released material from 1973 thru 1979. I own the first two 1973- New Born Day,
and 1974's Ranshart. Both are awesome and I would highly recommend them to any early 70's progressive rock fans, as they are a musical showcase of what made the golden age of prog so great.

RUPHUS :

joe

Reaction score
Arguably one of the best Krautrock albums produced(1972). 2066 and Then had a dual keyboard assualt, many shifts in rhythm and melodies. Heavy prog. akin to early Uriah Heep and Deep Purple with brushes of King Crimson and Jethro Tull. A "lost classic" of the 70's progressive rock.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Really liking your last two posts ,Joe :bow:

Another Krautrock/ German Progressive Rock band .There are some very fusion-ish time shifts through out
their first two releases (not sure about the rest. ) Really interesting interplay between the guitars , keys and bass .Female fronted vocals are also to my liking here which is not always the case .My girl friend hates this band ( too complex for her haha ) but I like them very much .

OCTOPUS :

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score
Wolf: I find many ladies have unappreciation for the form and rhythm of progressive rock with it's complex and irregular time signatures and fusion of psychedelic, classical and jazz, especially improvisational free-form jazz. My ex-fiancee, called some of it dischord, frantic and chaotic. Ironically she was a drama queen.:lmao:

Speaking of woman in prog. rock. Catapilla featured the vocals of Anna Meek and had a experimental jazz rock theme with tinges of psychedelia and passages of brass. Thier s/t(1971) release has more of an harder edge than Changes(1972) which show cases better production and a ariel ambience.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitewintermarket

Members online

No members online now.