Nick Drake (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are right about that Jeffrey, I didn't really know what to expect when I first listened to all 3 of Nick's albums but was pleasantly surprised.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Finally got a hold of Five Leaves Left which I quite enjoyed. All of his albums are quite interesting to listen to and can see where people are taking more notice of his stuff.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
with all the bootlegs circulating on the internet and elsewhere which claim to have his demo recordings on them, does anyone know if there is a definitive list of everything he ever recorded anywhere.

there are also on the internet 4 or 5 songs written by nick which are sung by elton john, before he became famous, which were used for publicity to get nicks work known. interesting but not really in the same spirit as the originals and seem rather half heartedly recorded.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I don't get it, I've got all 3 of the Nick Drake albums and now I find there's Singles and Alternative Takes (by the looks) of stuff which didn't make it on the albums and Island Records decided not to include these as Bonus Tracks. Surely there isn't enough to constitute another album, it's just frustrating when they do this. :(

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Must be a coincidence but I played all 3 of Nick's albums a few days ago, then when I went to my favorite used vinyl store on Saturday I saw a brand new pressing of "Pink Moon" on the wall.

I have to pick up my new Genesis copy of Selling England by the Pound later this week so I might end up buying Pink Moon as well.:D

Is Five Leaves Left much different on Vinyl to the CD do you know? For example the original track listing has "Day is Done" at 4 and "Way To Blue" at 5. And there's a few other differences with the track length, the opening Track "Time has Told Me" appears to be 30 seconds longer on CD and things like the CD album has the Produced date of 1970 when the Vinyl originally came out Sept. 69 according to Wikipedia.

Just curious because I've noticed other albums of the period being different when Remastered for CD, "Dr. Byrds & Mr. Hyde" being a bit of an example of that. :D

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
nick-drake-bryter-layter-333180.jpg

One of my current fascinations is Nick Drake. His voice is extremely hypnotic and very soothing. His music doesn't sound dated at all. Very simple, very organic.

Website

1969 Five Leaves Left
1970 Bryter Layter
1972 Pink Moon

It's an experience listening to his songs because it's hard to separate the emotions you sense in his voice and the one's you pick up by his lyrics. There's this underlying layer of contemplative melancholy in his voice that is hard to keep at bay.

I guess you can say that I 'feel' his music on a personal level quite easily. What do you think about Nick Drake?

You're welcome. :brew:

Wonderful pictures Cyggy. Thanks for posting them and sharing. :grinthumb

This Nick Drake songs always gives me a lump in my throat - I just find it very moving.

Fly

R.I.P Nick Drake...sadly missed

Cuddly Toy

Lover of Margaritas
Reaction score
If Nick Drake wouldn't have passed away so early in life I really believe we'd all be sitting here today saying how much he greatly influenced the acoustic folk music scene. Hell he put out some fantastic stuff in the short time he was with us.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Acoustic Folk Music!!!!

If Nick Drake wouldn't have passed away so early in life I really believe we'd all be sitting here today saying how much he greatly influenced the acoustic folk music scene. Hell he put out some fantastic stuff in the short time he was with us.

well said @Cuddy Toy...:bow::grinthumb

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
What a great artist Nick Drake was. He is one of the few artists that the more you listen to him, the more you realise that he was a singer of incredible depth. Some very sad songs that he bought out, but they talk to you. I have all three of his albums and love them all. Great, great music :bow::bow::bow:

220px-Five_Leaves_Left.jpg 220px-Bryter_Layter.jpg 220px-NickDrakePinkMoon.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online