New to "Classic Rock" music, need some suggestions

Ezequiel

Reaction score
eMalahleni, South Africa & Delft, Holland
Ezequiel!

It's sacriledge to lump the Stones in with those johnny-come-latelys U2! The Stones have been recording hit after hit and presenting their music on ever bigger concert tours since 1963 - and so long as there continue to be naysayers such as yourself they can't by definition be overrated.

Gfunk!

There's no need to bother with Hepcat's feeble thread. If you want a decent overview of a band, go to this thread:

December Band of the Month

:guitar:

Haha... I knew it wasn't long for someone responded to it ;) Of course do the Rolling Stones have more than U2 but the fact is that they are overrated. I am not saying they are bad, but they have had much more publicity than for instance the Who, the Doors and Led Zeppelin which are greater in my humble opinion.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
:bounce: Welcome to the party G. :bounce:

:grinthumb Could try a bit of Rory Gallagher his sound has a hard edged blues feel.:grinthumb

Always a good one. Some I might suggest are Stone Gods, Thin Lizzy, The Darkness, Aerosmith, Airbourne (which is basically the next AC/DC), Motörhead, Quiet Riot, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Scorpions, Slash's Snakepit (Slash's first side project), Van Halen, W.A.S.P., and Whitesnake all come to mind as awesome hard rock bands.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
...the Rolling Stones ... but the fact is that they are overrated. I am not saying they are bad, but they have had much more publicity than for instance the Who, the Doors and Led Zeppelin which are greater in my humble opinion.

The three other bands you've mentioned are all fabulous, but the reason they may not have had as much publicity as the Stones is that the Stones have been actively earning whatever publicity they've received for many more years.

The Doors with Jim Morrison were around for only five years and released six studio albums.

Led Zeppelin was around for just less than thirteen years over which time period either eight or nine studio albums were released depending on whether CODA counts or not. If anything, Led Zeppelin has gotten nearly as much publicity as the Stones despite Zep's relatively brief existence. One could therefore argue that Zep is overrated on this basis - but I'm not going to be the one to do so.

The Who have been around since late 1964 but have only released thirteen studio albums, and only one since 1982 because of a lengthy sabbatical that was taken in the eighties and nineties. The band is also down to only two original members.

Meanwhile, the Rolling Stones have been rocking for over 47 years since late 1962. In that time span they've released over 90 singles and 25 studio albums of which ten have made it to "Rolling Stone" magazine's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. Here's my own list of fifty reasons why the Stones cannot be said to be overrated:

Post #9 - The Fifty Biggest Hits

Sure the Stones have gotten a lot of publicity - because they've continued to work to earn it!

:rock:

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Haha... I knew it wasn't long for someone responded to it ;) Of course do the Rolling Stones have more than U2 but the fact is that they are overrated. I am not saying they are bad, but they have had much more publicity than for instance the Who, the Doors and Led Zeppelin which are greater in my humble opinion.
Longevity would play a big factor in this. The who put out like 8 or 9 studio albums, the Doors put out 6. I'm pretty sure that zeppelin's reputation speaks for itself.

Also, I think that the stones were widely the #2 most popular band to come out of the British Invasion (behind the Beatles of course). That's going to play a lot into their popularity.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
oh man, if you want something hard then there is nothing harder, imo, than this album.

Surfer Rosa by the Pixies

surfer-rosa2.jpg

it falls pretty short of the classic rock era imo, by about 7 or 8 years, but its absolutely amazing. there's a bunch of short little 2 and 3 minute songs in which just about all hell breaks loose. guitars are getting shredded, a mean funky bass is getting played and Black Francis just screams above it all. in one instance he runs his screams through a guitar amp for a totally distorted and creepy sound. and in between these chaotic songs are nice little pop numbers that you'll find yourself humming and singing to yourself while walking through the supermarket. its amazing. easily one of the hardest albums ever made in my opinion.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
oh man, if you want something hard then there is nothing harder, imo, than this album.

Surfer Rosa by the Pixies

it falls pretty short of the classic rock era imo, by about 7 or 8 years, but its absolutely amazing. there's a bunch of short little 2 and 3 minute songs in which just about all hell breaks loose. guitars are getting shredded, a mean funky bass is getting played and Black Francis just screams above it all. in one instance he runs his screams through a guitar amp for a totally distorted and creepy sound. and in between these chaotic songs are nice little pop numbers that you'll find yourself humming and singing to yourself while walking through the supermarket. its amazing. easily one of the hardest albums ever made in my opinion.

Sorry to say it, but I couldn't disagree more. Hardest albums ever? Maybe one of the hardest college/modern rock albums ever, but that's really not saying a lot (imho). In spots, yes, I think there are good musical moments (although nothing I'd define as great). But overall, it seems like an overly rushed (written and recorded) bunch of goofy modern rock blather. I actually just listened to nearly every song from this album on youtube (doesn't take long when almost all are like 2 minutes long other than 2 of them). It hits me the same now as it did back in the late 80's when I first heard it. One word sums it up for me. Bleh.

The producer once said about this album and the band...
"A patchwork pinch loaf from a band who at their top dollar best are blandly entertaining college rock. Their willingness to be "guided" by their manager, their record company and their producers is unparalleled. Never have I seen four cows more anxious to be led around by their nose rings."
I can't say I disagree, especially with the part that I bolded.

Anyway, I don't mean to poop on your opinion. My own thoughts are no more or less valid than anyone elses. But I thought in a suggestion thread to mark this as one of the hardest albums of all time, just didn't sit right with me. If someone does find this albuma and likes it, more power to them. I still don't get it though.

:cheers:

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
couldn't disagree more. three guys and a girl doing their best to create absolute chaos in the studio. metal bands and such can try all they want but they can never match the complete anarchy and undecipherable screaming of lyrics matched with what seems like pointless guitar riffs.

guess we just agree to disagree

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online