Hello guys. First time here. I would like to introduce you to Delicious
Grace. It's a musical project where they write their own songs. They are
just starting out.

I know it's hard to pay attention to something you don't know nor have
heard of but we are trying for one chance. Hope you like it:

DELICIOUS GRACE - ON MY WAY TO YOU

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Dude : you guys need to get yourselves a proper demo made.

I listened to your song right through twice and my initial impression is that the vocals need a fair bit of work, although the musical ideas and general musicianship were OK if a bit on the average side.

The recorded sound was the worst thing about it. I think you guys must have recorded it at rehearsal right...? I listened on high end pro-level studio headphones and could hear all the instruments but the whole thing sounds like a midrange/low end mish mash of rumbling fug and none of the instruments really sparkled through.

Other than for your own critical purposes it's really pretty pointless trying to make recordings in that kind of rehearsal environment unless you have high end recording equipment and production facilities which most of us can't afford. I certainly wouldn't advise ever offering such home made recordings as being fit for human consumption because they always give a completely wrong impression, do more harm than good, and ultimately get you nowhere.

Best advice I can give you guys is to do yourselves a huge favour and shell out some of your hard earned cash to get 2 or 3 of your songs properly recorded if you really want to impress people.

Apologies if all this sounds a bit scathing but I don't believe in giving pats on the back where there's such obvious room for improvement - if you want that kind of back patting thing go to that great time wasting website for wannabes ; Soundcloud...:D

More seriously though, there's no doubt you guys can all play well enough and just need some pointing in the right direction. I'm sure that with a lot of work and a decent demo you'll be able to get yourselves some gigs at the very least. At the moment though I wouldn't look any further than that as an initial goal however...

Good luck
;)

Last edited:

alcapone_dudu

Reaction score
Thank you Schmetterling for taking the time to listen to it.

I'm glad you liked some of it. This is a very special song to me.

What really happened with low quality of this recording was that we had very little studio time. Almost everything you hear on this song is first take. I have a version of this song in a better sound quality but I could not stand it because, for me, it sounded soulless. I could not stand that. Because of it some overdubs had to be added in order to make it more ''alive''. And that's where the quality kind of decreased. Those overdubs had to be homemade.

Anyway, we're currently working on new songs and those will sound a lot better.

OldHippie

Resident Yooper
Reaction score
The intro latched right onto me, absolutely loved the piano. like scmetterling said, the recording is iffy but you sound like you got that. All in all, its a damn good song.

alcapone_dudu

Reaction score
The intro latched right onto me, absolutely loved the piano. like scmetterling said, the recording is iffy but you sound like you got that. All in all, its a damn good song.

Thank you very much! It means a lot.

About the piano, I'm glad you liked it. Most of my songs are built and composed around the piano and the intention is to get it out in the front of the sound. Louder than guitars, bass and stuff like that.

alcapone_dudu

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is a song I wrote called ''The Boy from Memphis''. It's still in demo status but I really wanted to share it with Elvis' fans (I guess we've got a few around here).

A humble homage to one of the greatest singers of all time. Hope you enjoy:

Delicious Grace - The Boy From Memphis

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
What other said about the recording quality was correct, and doesn't require repeating or piling on.

However, if a song is written and played in a particular key, say C for example, then the singer should sing notes that are also in the key of C, not B or Bb. If a guitar player's guitar is out of tune, the music he makes won't sound good. If the piano is out of tune, it won't sound good. That's also true about singers. Singers need to sing in tune.

Or, forget trying to sing and become a rapper, so that being off-key isn't an issue.

alcapone_dudu

Reaction score
What other said about the recording quality was correct, and doesn't require repeating or piling on.

However, if a song is written and played in a particular key, say C for example, then the singer should sing notes that are also in the key of C, not B or Bb. If a guitar player's guitar is out of tune, the music he makes won't sound good. If the piano is out of tune, it won't sound good. That's also true about singers. Singers need to sing in tune.

Or, forget trying to sing and become a rapper, so that being off-key isn't an issue.

Thank for listening to my songs. Everything you guys say, believe, is taking in consideration. We're trying to find our best way to deliver songs.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Thank for listening to my songs. Everything you guys say, believe, is taking in consideration. We're trying to find our best way to deliver songs.

Having a good way to deliver songs is important. Having good songs to deliver is even more important. I realize this is old-school advice, but it's the best I can give you. Pay your dues. Play live gigs, even if they don't pay all that well. Work on your sound with a live audience reacting to you, giving you instant feedback on what works, and what doesn't work. Try new things to see how audiences react. You will make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes will be happy accidents that reveal new things. When you finally sit down to record, you'll be recording honed and polished songs that you know are good, because your audiences have told you that they are. Once you have really great songs, then worry about delivering them. If the songs aren't good enough, nothing will work. If the songs are great, anything will work.

There is no substitute for quality.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Having a good way to deliver songs is important.

Having good songs to deliver is even more important

Point #2 here is absolutely critical. If the writing isn't there yet, then play other people's music and has been pointed out, play live gigs, not just in the basement or garage. Play free gigs if you have to. #1 the practice in front of both crowded and nearly empty rooms is invaluable. The ability to keep energy and focus on stage regardless of the setting is so important. When playing live, other people's music can be used as an ice-breaker. From my experience in the bar/club business for nearly 25 years (as a bouncer, manager, bartender, DJ and karaoke emcee), I have nearly seen it all. If you aren't known, people tend to not pay attention. Get their attention playing something they know. This will garner a potential fandom as well as help you all in every way. Get tighter as a group, get looser on stage, know how to play to the group in front of you.

This isn't a 100% cure-all, win-win piece of advice and it can be situational, but if you've ever heard the term "paying your dues", this is what it means. Sure, some bands have gotten away with sitting in their basement trying to get it right, find that one song that gets them some air play and then they are gone. Some of those bands paid their dues AFTER their hit, most paid up front and end up being one-hit wonders. I could ramble about various other aspects, but this is what I'd consider to be the most important. Play a lot, even for free. Play other people's work for practice and confidence. And when you think you have something good of your own, spend some money and get into a proper studio. You don't have to rent time at a nationally known studio. Look online and you'd be surprised at how much affordable studio time is available out there from people that have smaller yet very professional setups.

Gotta put in the time if you want to make a dime.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online