Music you like/love that's not really made for your gender?

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
My second favorite music artist behind the Smashing Pumpkins has been Tori Amos since high school. In fact, because she has more released material I own more of her material than SP. I love piano more than any instrument in music and I really connect to the emotion and even her sense of humor in her work. I just love the piano as a rock instrument style she's perfected. Anyway, her subject matter is definitely not aimed at me and her body of work is arguably the biggest study of what it is to be female I've ever seen from any songwriter period. Even her ventures into spirituality concentrate hugely on female figureheads in Christianity and the lack of attention to female power in Christianity. Long story short I love it, I feel it and I can only relate to it in an abstract way.

Just for a further example of Tori and my relationship to her music my favorite song by her is called:

Northern Lad

It's a very melodramatic song talking about about an old male lover with intimate details. The best line as an example is

"Girls you've got to know
When it's time to turn the page
When you're only wet
Because of the rain"

I get the emotion of this song and I feel it but when you break it down there's nothing content wise I relate to in it. Does anyone have any examples of music that's like that to them? :grinthumb
didn't see this thread before.
I relate to a bunch of female singers but its not always for the same reason.
With Tori I was a mild fan in the beginning but the more I listened to her the more I realized that just because she was a women didn't mean I didn't relate to her. Tori is the same age as me and I feel the connection. Tori also seems to sing about issues that aren't always gender specific almost to the point where she is singing as a man.
Others
Fiona Apple-Fi's lyrics on her first two albums are just too good for me to ignore. Her when the pawn album got me thru a rough patch of my life and I'll remember that album for the rest of my life.
It can work the other way too-I liked Alanis M. first two albums but after seeing her live and all the screaming girls she lost me. I couldn't relate to the music and barely ever listen to her anymore. Funny Tori's screaming girls didn't bother me-except when she sings Precious Things and those girls scream over that line. :tongue:
PJ Harvey and Bjork are favorites of mine but I don't think they are such a girl only thing.
Currently, Marina & the Diamonds and Florence and the Machine are two modern favorites. Funny I don't think I relate much to what they are singing about but both have struck a cord with me.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
HEY!!!! IT'S NOT A SKIRT, IT'S A KILT, DAMNIT!!!!!!
426-braveheart--125664909309859000.jpg

:lmao:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
AK I don't understand how "screaming girls" at a concert, could make you an Alanis fan no longer. That wouldn't change the music you liked from the get go. If anything, Alanis' music got better over time. IMHO. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
AK I don't understand how "screaming girls" at a concert, could make you an Alanis fan no longer. That wouldn't change the music you liked from the get go. If anything, Alanis' music got better over time. IMHO. :grinthumb

I'd have to agree! We have a lot of musical commonalities AK but an audience shouldn't affect your respect for a musician IMO! :D

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Hey that is strange, but it doesn't seem like he's saying everyone should feel that way, that's just what happened to him, for inexplicable reasons...

In any case you'll never find more screaming girls than at a Beatles concert, so I'm sure we can all agree that the number of screaming girls cannot be a conscious factor in what we relate to or respect....

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ Good point. But I don't think anyone is saying that it's wrong...we all have different emotions and things that trigger us or put us off musically.

I think most people are just confused why anyone would be put off by an artist...you know...just because one felt the audience was too juvenile for their tastes.

But only AK would be able to enlighten us. :cheers2

For me...I've been to an annoying show once or twice in my life...but I went home...said "geeez"...put on the CD and it still sounded the same, and enjoyed it as I always had. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Because I like new Rock bands I've found the same screaming girls can trample you in numbers! I went to two Taste of Chaos and got swallowed by a mob of teenyboppers in a mosh pit! :heheh: Still love "The Used" though who were the headliners I went for! :grinthumb

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I'm trying like hell to get to a Miranda Cosgrove concert and I can't wait to see the crowd there. It's gotta be 10 year old girls! Fine with me, man, it ain't like I go to concerts to score. And... come to think of it... if I did go to concerts to score, acts like Alanis would probably be ideal, lol. Or maybe Sheryl Crow.

Anyway I don't mean to go off on a tangent but maaaan do I wish I could get to a Miranda Cosgrove concert. Frankly I suspect this'll be the only tour she ever does. I mean, her record did well when it came out, but it only has one single. Who heard of a pop record that doesn't even try for a second single... and for a new artist? And I've sure as heck seen acts with bigger singles than Miranda's, who then got promptly dropped. I just think her singing career won't be as profitable as her acting career and they probably won't continue with it.

So I wanna go and see her really bad but alas she's not coming very close to me. I could see her open for Jesse McCartney in Hershey on December 9th but getting there would be this whole big hassle and she's not even headlining and I'd have to go alone and I'd have to switch with somebody at work for my shift, and I just don't think I'm up for all that.

Oh well, good news is Taylor Swift already has a concert scheduled here in like 8 months, lol. I can at least see that. This'll be a really fantastic tour to see her on because she's gotta be at the peak of her powers right now. Like Pink Floyd circa Wish You Where Here, or Zep doing Houses of the Holy, right in the middle of everything.