Music you like/love that's not really made for your gender?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My second favorite music artist behind the Smashing Pumpkins has been Tori Amos since high school. In fact, because she has more released material I own more of her material than SP. I love piano more than any instrument in music and I really connect to the emotion and even her sense of humor in her work. I just love the piano as a rock instrument style she's perfected. Anyway, her subject matter is definitely not aimed at me and her body of work is arguably the biggest study of what it is to be female I've ever seen from any songwriter period. Even her ventures into spirituality concentrate hugely on female figureheads in Christianity and the lack of attention to female power in Christianity. Long story short I love it, I feel it and I can only relate to it in an abstract way.

Just for a further example of Tori and my relationship to her music my favorite song by her is called:

Northern Lad

It's a very melodramatic song talking about about an old male lover with intimate details. The best line as an example is

"Girls you've got to know
When it's time to turn the page
When you're only wet
Because of the rain"

I get the emotion of this song and I feel it but when you break it down there's nothing content wise I relate to in it. Does anyone have any examples of music that's like that to them? :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am a metal fan. I have always associated metal as a "guy" thing.

I also like beer drinkin' songs :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is a hard one,,,I don't really think of music as gender oriented. When Mom was playing Dean Martin love songs, it never dawned on me that they were only for the fairer sex to enjoy, well that was the target audience to be fair.

Tom Jones I guess, I have a CD I inherited from my Mom who passed away a few years ago, I play it once in a while, and it's like she's in the room with me having a blast.

That is the only example I can think of Bry.

Reaction score
I like pat Benetar a bit, umm.... does that count, "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" isn't exactly the most manly song, seems like sort of a female rally song lol

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found this gem:

Music_for_Men.jpg

:lmao:

Garage Rock, post-punk. The vocalist is female.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
I don't 'think' of music as gender oriented .. except some artists such as Bobby Sherman that geared their music toward teeny boppers.

I do like this ~

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.