Mumford & Sons (Official Thread)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
Re: Mumford & Sons

I was going to go to their show at the Laneway festival, but I missed out because of my complete lack of muso friends (And I don't like going to any concert alone) XD

I'm sure they'll be active in future though, I'll get my chance later on :D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

They aren't really touring the U.S. at all because they just didn't explode here like they did in Europe and Australia. :(

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score

They aren't really touring the U.S. at all because they just didn't explode here like they did in Europe and Australia. :(

they have a date here in Oregon, my friend has an extra ticket and im still debating if i wanna go or not. i probably will though

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I know you put this up before Sal but I think this is one of my favourites! Can't wait to go see them in a couple of weeks.

Winter Winds

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Well seeing as "Sigh No More" was album of the year for a good number of our members I think it deserves a bump! I also though it deserved a full listen by me since I sampled them from this thread about a year ago and liked it as well!

The funny thing is after hearing the album most of the songs I really like remain the same which is not to say their weren't more added to the list. I still really dig "White Blank Page" as I had echoed before so it definitely must be the standout track. I also find I echo the sentiments of thinking "Thistle and Weeds" was the next big standout track.

The other funny thing is this music reminds me of so many bands I like and is really up my alley musically but for some reason it remained on my back burner for a long time. What sets these guys apart is the dominance of full group vocals. It's my favorite element and it adds a real epicness to the whole sound. The vocalist has his moments on his own but I think the album wouldn't nearly be the same with the weight of the vocals solely on him. The only criticism is the dominance of the banjo which doesn't bother me as an instrument for a particular song but in a whole album it can be draining. The album really picks up midway for me starting with a track I don't see mentioned so I'll do the honors:

Roll Away Your Stone

That song rounds out my top three after "White Blank Page' and "Thistle and Weeds". The album starts out good but I was truly awoken by "Roll Aways...." thumping build at 2:54 into the grand chorus! There were moments of fatigue for me during the album I think because of the overall similar tone thoughout BUT they were outshone by the moments of greatness! :cheers2:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Being the Queen fan that I am Sooty it comes as no surprise that I love the very full vocals as well. I'd imagine it would just draw entire audiences into singing at live shows. I don't quite share your issue with the banjo however. I love how it sounds and I really don't hear it enough in music (I think because it gets a bad reputation) so when it sneaks into the folk music I listen to then I'm overjoyed.

One thing I've thought since picking this album up is that I really think Marcus Mumford is a top notch acoustic guitarist. While a lot of people out there judge a guitarist by how well they can solo I really do love a solid rhythm guitarist, with a special soft spot for talented acoustic ones such as Eugene Hütz, Damien Rice, and Marcus. Just going with "Roll Away Your Stone" for example since you posted it Sooty; there is some very precise, clean guitar work in that song starting about 30 seconds in. "Little Lion Man" (being the big hit from the album) also has some stellar strumming from him.

As far as favorites go though I've probably called 9 of the 12 songs on this album my favorite at some point or another. One in particular that has always clicked with me really well would be the album's closer, "After The Storm", which has hardly even been mention in this thread so far.

It may have taken a year since I first heard them but Marcus Mumford and the boys are finally catching on with other people in the States.

We're just a little slow on this side of the sea. :D

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

I think I will still be listening to Sigh No More when I am an old lady :heheh: I love every track on the album. There is just something about it that I totally connect with.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online