Flower

retired
Reaction score
The original VJ's ... the ones who used the "M" word ~

mtv_original_vjs.jpg

I liked Martha Quinn the best!

300px-martha_quinn.jpg

Original VJs and format ~

MTV's early format was modeled after top 40 radio. Fresh-faced young men and women were hired to host the network's programming and to introduce videos that were being played. The term VJ (video jockey) was coined, a play on the initialism DJ (disc jockey). Many VJs eventually became celebrities in their own right. The original five MTV VJs in 1981 were Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson and Martha Quinn. In 2005, this group (except for J. J. Jackson, who died in 2004) became hosts on Sirius Satellite Radio.

The early music videos that made up the bulk of MTV's programming in the 1980s were often crude promotional or concert clips from whatever sources could be found. As the popularity of the channel rose, and record companies recognized the potential of the medium as a tool to gain recognition and publicity, they began to create increasingly elaborate clips specifically for the channel.[citation needed]

A large number of rock bands and performers of the 1980s were made popular by MTV. Such acts ranged from new wave to hard rock or heavy metal bands[16] such as Adam Ant, Eurythmics,[17] Culture Club,[18] The Fixx, Split Enz, Prince, Ultravox, Duran Duran,[19] Van Halen,[20] Bon Jovi, RATT,[21] Def Leppard,[22] The Police, and The Cars. The network also rotated the videos of "Weird Al" Yankovic, who made a career out of parodying other artists' videos.

MTV also played some classic rock acts from the 1980s and earlier decades, including David Bowie, Dire Straits (who's 1985 song and video "Money for Nothing" both referenced MTV and also included the slogan "I want my MTV" in its lyrics), Journey, Rush, John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Genesis, Hall & Oates, Rolling Stones, Rod Stewart, The Who and ZZ Top; newly solo acts such as Robert Plant, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney, David Lee Roth, and Pete Townshend; as well as forgotten acts such as Michael Stanley Band, Shoes, Blotto and Taxxi. The hard rock band Kiss publicly appeared without their trademark makeup for the first time on MTV in 1983.

lifted from Wikipedia ^^^

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Starting at 5a.m Friday July 30th, VH1 Classic will be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of MTV. There will be a 3 day marathon of all the old classics and best moments of MTV.

The event is called "MTV30 on VH1 Classic" and will show the first hour of programming from 1981.

Read More Here.

ANF

Reaction score
Its a shame that we need VH1 Classic to pay homage to the 30th anniversary of MTV. On Aug 1, MTV is showing its typical Teen Mom/Jersey Shore crap. Yes, that stuff is popular NOW but do we really think that people will still be caring about those shows in 30 years? Surely MTV can take one day out of the year to pay tribute to themselves.

ANF

Reaction score
Starting at 5a.m Friday July 30th, VH1 Classic will be celebrating the 30th Anniversary of MTV. There will be a 3 day marathon of all the old classics and best moments of MTV.

The event is called "MTV30 on VH1 Classic" and will show the first hour of programming from 1981.

Read More Here.

My DVR is going to be filled up for sure. I have all three days programmed to record. Almost makes me wish I still had a VCR since that is something you'd record to keep

jcc

Reaction score
My DVR is going to be filled up for sure. I have all three days programmed to record. Almost makes me wish I still had a VCR since that is something you'd record to keep

I'm only going to DVR MTV's first hour, even tough I have the first 4 hours on DVD. I wish they would show the first 24 hours.

ANF

Reaction score
MTV execs said that "most of our viewers weren't born yet in 1981 so they don't care" about why they didn't do anything, even on their website for the 30th anniversary.

If anything, this is MTV saying that their audience are idiots who know nothing. Do you have any idea how many teenagers and 20-somethings I've come across on message boards who love Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, ABBA, Elvis Presley and other musical artists who had broken up/died before they were even born? MTV is saying their fans are braindead morons, and that's enough to realize how useless the channel is now.

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
When I have to talk to somebody wo I don't know I usually ask "Do yo know what was the first vidio emited on the MTV??" or maybe "Do you know who is the british band who had sold more disc in the USA??" Peope rarely know the answers.

And we start a conversation.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online