Most overrated drummer

Archon

Reaction score
To me this is real drumming.

I think anyone can really slam on the drums really hard and call it a beat but this type of stuff takes skill. But never the less I think that drummers like Keith Moon, John Bonham, Neil Pert, Stewart Copeland, Phil Collins, and Mitch Mitchell are good drummers too.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love Gene Krupa, saw him do a solo Moon or Bonham would be proud of when he was in Benny Goodman's band.

LXA

Old Noob
Reaction score
Lars. Especially on St Anger. Awful album. He sounded like he was freaking banging on a garbage can lid with no rhythm. I don't know who in their right mind would actually distribute that album.

EzBro

Reaction score
I could agree with that. I personally just don't like him because of the napster incident.
I will have to think about it also, but I couldn't agree more about the napster comment!!

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I found the drumming on Therapy? tracks irritating. I am not sure if the drummer is overrated or not.

I thought Scott Travis's double-kick style was inappropriate for Judus Priest.

My favourite drummers are Carl Palmer for his showmanship and Bill Bruford for his precision. Andrew McCulloch of Greenslade was fantastic live. Collins and Peart are okay by me.

Those drummers with a forceful personality, like Cozy Powell, Lars Ulrich and Mike Portnoy, have strengths beyond their drumming technique.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I know that my thoughts on this subject are pretty taboo, especially in THIS forum, but I have to say that Keith Moon is EASILY the most overrated drummer in history.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lars for sure, even on Metallicas good albums he did seem to lack a lot of variety in his drumming. He is a good drummer but not near the best I have heard. And don't even start me on St Anger, that was a disgrace to metal, an insult to Kirk Hammett too. God only knows what the **** kind of drugs they were on when they decided the echoing drum sound was a good idea. Irony is even as a garage band Metallica would have sounded better which was Bob Rocks rather unusual idea behind St Anger lol

Another drummer I like but think is over rated is Phil Rudd, I preferred Chris Slade as Ac/dc drummer, he had a lot more to him then the same usual drum beats of mid tempo.

I will have to think about it also, but I couldn't agree more about the napster comment!!
The only thing to hate about the Napster thing was singling people out, actually naming and shaming, that was a dick act from Lars.

The other thing that Lars does I noticed on live performances is often try to improvise different drum beats for even the classic stuff, that is annoying, totally butchers the good song.

Last edited:

TheWhalerfan

Lovus My Avatarus
Reaction score
I would agree with Lynch on this one if Meg White didn't exist. People tell me all the time that she is talented..sorry, great band or not, she is terrible.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitewintermarket

Members online