Most Overrated Bands of the 90's

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Re: Most Overated Bands of the 90's

Other bands I think were/are very overrated from the 90's...

The Smashing Pumpkins - I've given them a number of listens. Even owned a couple of their CDs I got out of bargain bins at used CD stores simply because I needed them for DJ'ing at one point. They do have a couple of songs that I like, but for the most part, I have a really hard time listening to Billy Corgan's vocals, most of the time I'd compare it with nails on a chalkboard.

Goo Goo Dolls - a very average band that got very popular for some reason, never could get into them.

U2 - Yeah yeah I know I had them on my 80's list, which I even said they had some decent stuff in the 80's, pre-Joshua Tree, but after that, yuck. The ONLY album they put out in the 90's I could stomach was .... hmm, I guess none of them.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Here it is for me in a nutshell.

Music is music and notes are notes.

Some people just don't like the way some notes are put together but it's all creativity. It's all art regardless.

But sometimes people go one step beyond and feel that the music they don't like is not as good as other "important" music. But what is important really??

If an artist or a band has an audience, and that audience is smiling and enjoying themselves....to me that's important and magical.

:cheers:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

First and foremost, I didn't ever say that Cobain's guitar playing sucks, nor have I said their lyrics suck. I -have- said that his guitar playing is average-at-best and I've said that the lyrics are "Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering". So, don't put words into my mouth that were not spoken (or typed out).
well sorry, if I can't understand a thing they are saying, then why listen? And whats the point in having lyrics/singing at all if you can't understand wtf they are saying or singing about? This is far and away the biggest reason that I dont listen to death/black/doom and gloom/etc metal. Some incredible music ruined by incomprehendable vocals and lyrics although if you read lyrics to that stuff, at least it makes sense (whether you like the message or not). Kurt's songwriting is quite often just jibberish, put together in some cases for the purpose or rhyming, regardless if it made sense. Just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong.
It is called music. If you are so worried about hearing the words listen to poetry. Actually Cobain is pretty coherent you are just showing you have never listened to maybe more then one or two songs by Nirvana. Also just because you did not flat out say they sucked does not mean you did not subtly say so.

Why is it that everytime someone says something that you don't like, you take it personally like they are talking about you, or to you specifically. When I speak about "anyone", it's in a generic form. It's NOT all about you. Try and remember that.
Oh please..... right after I post what I said you say what you said.

Um, I don't remember ever saying someone has to be a virtuoso to be considered good. But I've seen and heard 5th graders with better "chops" than anything and everything Cobain ever did, ever. The guy was incredibly average.
Again a guitar player like Vernon Reid who is very good would beg to differ.
I also said you do not have to have chops like Gilbert of Petrucci to be consider great.

Like I said above, I've never said the lyrics suck. And by your mentality above, I'm wrong and you are right because some people find their lyrics to be "inspiring", therefore they ARE inspiring? But because ~I~ say call it incoherent blather, it's just MY opinion doesn't count?

I am starting to think you have never listened to maybe more then one or two songs by Nirvana judging by the comment "incoherent blather." I see you like AC/DC and they have Brian Johnson on vocals who is really the incoherent one. Yet you like them?

Contradictory.

Opinions are like assholes man, everyone's got one. And one opinion is no less valid than another. Since we are in a "who was overrated in the 90's" thread, I'd suggest you veer clear and stay in some pro-nirvana thread. All you're going to do is get pissed off about it.

Nah I think I will stay here and keep going at you some more. I would suggest to you to stay out of threads of bands you do not like.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

I see you have some strong feelings about this subject...I will never understand the adulation Nirvana gets, I just don't like his vocals and the music is not that great either. I know you have named three bands I do like a lot, and I understand the accolades they receive is a sore point with younger music fans who want their Own bands to identify with, but I could think of so many other better bands than Nirvana to carry the banner for the 90's, and I have tried to be fair and listened objectively more than once. But they just don't do it for me Mud.

I never got how Nirvana/ well Cobain for that matter was given the "Spokesmen for his generation" title.

Never got that.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

It is called music. If you are so worried about hearing the words listen to poetry. Actually Cobain is pretty coherent you are just showing you have never listened to maybe more then one or two songs by Nirvana. Also just because you did not flat out say they sucked does not mean you did not subtly say so.
Again, quit putting words into my mouth and grow the hell up while you are at it. When I say they suck, you can quote me in big oversized bold font. Until then... just sit there and stew over semantics that aren't there.

what is the name of this thread; Most Overated Bands of the 90's and I am SPEAKING on that and that alone. This is not a thread about you or the band you appear to worship. it's about talking about bands or artists that people feel were overrated. Overrated is nothing more than an opinion. if you don't like the opinions, then I will say it again, stay the hell out of a thread that is OBVIOUSLY all about opinions. otherwise, YOU are the one that's being a troll, again. I say they are overrated, I did NOT say they suck.

Again a guitar player like Vernon Reid who is very good would beg to differ.
I also said you do not have to have chops like Gilbert of Petrucci to be consider great.
So Vernon Reid, who I agree is a good guitar player from a band that was basically a one-hit wonder, is now the measuring stick on whether or not Cobain was good? :rolleyes:

I am starting to think you have never listened to maybe more then one or two songs by Nirvana judging by the comment "incoherent blather."

I've heard everything from Bleach, Nevermind, Insecticide, In Utero and the MTV unplugged album. Any "rare cuts" that may have been released after that don't mean squat to me. If I can't find much gold on the first 5 albums, how much will there be had he lived?

I see you like AC/DC and they have Brian Johnson on vocals who is really the incoherent one. Yet you like them?

Contradictory.
No, it's not. I can understand pretty much everything that AC/DC has put out. That doesn't mean everyone can, but I can't, so it's not the least bit contradictory. Nice try though.

Nah I think I will stay here and keep going at you some more.
So you admit that you are going to continue to troll this thread because you don't like the contents in a topic that is VERY obviously about talking about artists and bands that people don't like from a 10 year span. Have fun with that ... or ... you could grow up and stay out and go dabble in a Nirvana thread where people like myself won't go trolling just to cause problems and will respect the fans in threads such as those. Your choice.

I would suggest to you to stay out of threads of bands you do not like.

Um again, you have completely missed the boat.

Thread title (in case you missed it in the first 40+ posts)

~ Most Overated Bands of the 90's ~

NOT a thread about NIRVANA, is it? :rolleyes:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I agree with Cosmic about sometimes finding it hard to post in negative threads, like this one, however as long as people remained civil to each other then they serve a purpose. We will never all agree about music, politics, food, Mary-Ann or Ginger, but at least we can comport ourselves with a little dignity and respect each other.

Nothing anyone says will affect how I feel about bands I love, if anything I find the comments amusing, as long as they are aimed at the band and not me, there is a difference.

Nirvana is fair game, the band at least, if you wish to support them by all means refute claims to the contrary, however the line is drawn when you insult another member. That is unacceptable period.

I am opening the thread again, please respect each other and don't take things so personally.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Just a side note.........

Keep up the good debate about who is overrated. Keep the debate clean with no foul language. Keep the insults to the bands not to our fellow forum brothers/sisters.

All this jibber jabber has helped this thread gain some excellent ranking in google today :)

P.S.

You guys have definitely shot some of the bands I like to pieces...But that is OK.....I still like them no matter what y'all say.

F

FoxyPage

Oooh, just discovered this thread.... where to start? (heh, anyone who knows me know where I'll start).

Nirvana, EASILY the most overrated band of the 90's and one of the most overrated bands in the history of rock/pop music. Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering lyrics that make as much sense as talking to a 3 yr old in many cases. As a guitar player, anyone who says that Kurt is anything more than average-at-best doesn't know squat about guitar playing. when I hear people say that their music was groundbreaking, lyrics were inspiring, etc, I can only shake my head and say "put down the ****ing peace pipe". Inspiring lyrics?

Uh yeah. I'm really inspired right now. When and if you can actually get a "message" from Nirvana lyrics, all too often, it's about self-loathing, woah-is-me, crybaby bullshit. I'm sorry if this crap connected with a bunch of depressed kids who now had a social reason to not wash or comb/brush their hair and generally just look frumpy. I'd say I'm sorry the dude killed himself, but I'd be lying, the only thing that bothers me about his death is that the selfish dink left behind a daughter without a dad, and that the media turned this selfish dink into some sort of musical martyr, hoisting him on some proverbial and undeserved pedistal.

I will give them credit in that they did have a couple of songs that musically were decent. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good tune. It's too bad they didn't do more of this sort of thing rather than went into the dark, self-loathing despair direction. The lyrics of this song were pretty ridiculous, but fun rock shouldn't be "deep", at least not in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah, Nirvana = the MOST overrated band of the 90's, without question. there are others, but I'll post them separately.

Just to touch on lyrical content, this is Kurt's own words about Rape Me;

"Basically, I was trying to write a song that supported women and dealt with the issue of rape. Over the last few years, people have had such a hard time understanding what our message is, what we're trying to convey, that I just decided to be as bold as possible. How hard should I stamp this point? How big should I make the letters? It's not a pretty image. But a woman who is being raped, who is infuriated with the situation . . . it's like "Go ahead, rape me, just go for it, because you're gonna get it." I'm a firm believer in karma, and that mother------ is going to get what he deserves, eventually. That man will be caught, he'll go to jail, and he'll be raped. So rape me, do it, get it over with. Because you're gonna get it worse."

Songs can't be judged so quickly just because of what they appear to be saying. It sounds like a negative song to someone who doesn't get what the real message is, and it certainly is about a negative topic, but, in the end, it's basically 'what goes around, comes around'. That dude rapes a chick, he'll get his in the end. People just use different words to describe things. There are a few Nirvana songs that I didn't get myself when I was younger but when you read about what Kurt is trying to say, you get a better understanding. He has his own weird way of getting a point across.

EDIT: I am having trouble finding that exact quote again, I randomly found it on a Nirvana page earlier, but here is another source with the meaning:

http://en.allexperts.com/e/r/ra/rape_me.htm

"Rape Me" drew the ire of many feminists upon its release on In Utero in 1993, but Cobain, a proclaimed feminist himself, often claimed in interviews that it was an "anti-rape" song. He said it was a song of poetic justice, in which a man rapes a woman, is sent to jail, and ends up being raped there himself. "Basically, I was trying to write a song that supported women and dealt with the issue of rape," Cobain explained in a 1993 Rolling Stone interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Big deal.

:rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't go to rock musicians for insights into the human condition. If I want insights into the human condition, I'll read a book.

What I'm paying you fellows for is to play. So shut up and play.

:drums:

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online