Most Overrated Bands of the 90's

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Most Overated Bands of the 90's

Ugh....I'm finding it hard to come into these threads. :uh: Everyone is always pooping on bands that I like. :wa:

Of course I'm not really that upset or anything but The Offspring are one of my favorite bands.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Good points on all ends. I would just like to add that Nirvana didn't kill anything. MTV and the indusrty just stopped playing some forms of music that was in steady rotation and replaced it with grunge in steady rotation and the public follows what's in rotation half the time IMO.

But one good point that Soot made was "party rock" and I have to agree with that. Some people think that this genre killed metal, yet metal was still going on when hair bands were in rotation. Before it,during it and after it.

Hair bands were a part of that fun/good times party rock, along side party dance music and part rap music.

Fresh Prince, Fat Boys, Tone Loc anyone? :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

nothing kills a genre. Music moves on in all directions just because one genre falls off the front page doesnt make it go away. People always talk about punk killing prog but both genres thrive today. Some stuff goes underground for awhile(usually a good thing) and then pops up again. Just cause your favorite band didn't make it to the next decade isn't someone elses fault it just didn't happen for them.

I'm changing my opinion back to MP thought, overrated is overated.
You don't get a band then you don't get it but obvious other people do. The music business is a little luck, a little timing, a little great music and a lots of hard work.

the whole Nirvana sucks, Radiohead sucks, KISS sucks is old and boring if you don't like something there are 1000's of other things to listen too. move on.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

True enough AK, but when I read Greg's OP I Knew what was going to follow. For those people who don't like talking about "Overrated" anything...simply walk on and don't post in the thread.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

For those people who don't like talking about "Overrated" anything...simply walk on and don't post in the thread.
Yeah that!

Seriously, no disrespect to anyone's opinions because we've all got them and they all stink...

... but coming into a "this or that is overrated" thread and belittling the mindset of the posters on what is and isn't overrated is no different that going into a Kiss Thread or a Led Zeppelin thread and saying "this band sucks". You know full well, going in, what the thread is going to be about. I'm not on a high horse here because I'll be the first to admit I've done that very same thing, or had that same mentality myself, so there's no pot calling the kettle black on my end... I'm just yapping, nevermind me.

JM2CW

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I always have something to say if a member simply posts "They Suck" in a band thread, so these kind of threads are useful. They allow a venting in general, and seeing it's all subjective as long as no one is personally slighted they okay with me.

We could always write a new thread called..."Bands of the 90's that I LOVE."...to balance things out.:grinthumb

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Oooh, just discovered this thread.... where to start? (heh, anyone who knows me know where I'll start).

Nirvana, EASILY the most overrated band of the 90's and one of the most overrated bands in the history of rock/pop music. Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering lyrics that make as much sense as talking to a 3 yr old in many cases. As a guitar player, anyone who says that Kurt is anything more than average-at-best doesn't know squat about guitar playing. when I hear people say that their music was groundbreaking, lyrics were inspiring, etc, I can only shake my head and say "put down the ****ing peace pipe". Inspiring lyrics?

Yes I know nothing of guitar playing, neither does Vernon Reid who is a great guitar player in his own right and thinks Cobain was one as well?

So you have to be able to understand the vocals to say if a band is good or not? Really? Since when?

Do not say some one does not know anything about guitar playing just because of an OPINION that is different from yours. I do know about guitar playing since I actually play guitar and since I am not an elitist pig who thinks just because some one does not have the chops like Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci it makes them a shit guitarist.

Some people find band lyrics inspiring just because you do not does not mean the lyrics suck.

Nirvana the most overrated band in the history of music? Nah I think Led Zeppelin has them beat and the Beatles as well. Oh yea and Pink Floyd.

Nirvana brought a new genre of music to the mainstream hence why they are praised. They were abrasive yet melodic and sometimes even in the same song.

Just because they had cryptic lyrics (does Jim Morrison suck as well?) that people can not decipher does not mean they suck.

Also I am not saying I can decipher them before people jump down my throat with that assumption. If you actually read up on the band he was music first then lyrics.

He also was sarcastic and would say something serious then contradict it with the next line.

Great musicianship does not mean you have to be complex. Simplicity is some times best.

I personally find the greatest guitarist I have ever heard to be Paul Gilbert, but does that mean I think Cobain sucks when compared to Gilbert? No. Different styles of playing that is what people WHO DO NOT PLAY instruments fail to realize.

For Rolling Stone to put out that horrendous list of greatest guitarists, greatest bands, etc shows they have no clue what they are talking about.

Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Oh and also I will add Pantera and Metallica to this list.

Pantera's first two albums were in the 90's and they kicked ass, but after that they had meh records.

Metallica well the Black Album was good, but it is not that great of an album. The rest of their 90's albums were trash.

Oasis is another.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I see you have some strong feelings about this subject...I will never understand the adulation Nirvana gets, I just don't like his vocals and the music is not that great either. I know you have named three bands I do like a lot, and I understand the accolades they receive is a sore point with younger music fans who want their Own bands to identify with, but I could think of so many other better bands than Nirvana to carry the banner for the 90's, and I have tried to be fair and listened objectively more than once. But they just don't do it for me Mud.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

First and foremost, I didn't ever say that Cobain's guitar playing sucks, nor have I said their lyrics suck. I -have- said that his guitar playing is average-at-best and I've said that the lyrics are "Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering". So, don't put words into my mouth that were not spoken (or typed out).
So you have to be able to understand the vocals to say if a band is good or not? Really? Since when?
well sorry, if I can't understand a thing they are saying, then why listen? And whats the point in having lyrics/singing at all if you can't understand wtf they are saying or singing about? This is far and away the biggest reason that I dont listen to death/black/doom and gloom/etc metal. Some incredible music ruined by incomprehendable vocals and lyrics although if you read lyrics to that stuff, at least it makes sense (whether you like the message or not). Kurt's songwriting is quite often just jibberish, put together in some cases for the purpose or rhyming, regardless if it made sense. Just my opinion, doesn't make me right or wrong.

Do not say some one does not know anything about guitar playing just because of an OPINION that is different from yours.
Why is it that everytime someone says something that you don't like, you take it personally like they are talking about you, or to you specifically. When I speak about "anyone", it's in a generic form. It's NOT all about you. Try and remember that.

I do know about guitar playing since I actually play guitar and since I am not an elitist pig who thinks just because some one does not have the chops like Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci it makes them a shit guitarist.
Um, I don't remember ever saying someone has to be a virtuoso to be considered good. But I've seen and heard 5th graders with better "chops" than anything and everything Cobain ever did, ever. The guy was incredibly average.

Some people find band lyrics inspiring just because you do not does not mean the lyrics suck.
Like I said above, I've never said the lyrics suck. And by your mentality above, I'm wrong and you are right because some people find their lyrics to be "inspiring", therefore they ARE inspiring? But because ~I~ say call it incoherent blather, it's just MY opinion doesn't count?

Opinions are like assholes man, everyone's got one. And one opinion is no less valid than another. Since we are in a "who was overrated in the 90's" thread, I'd suggest you veer clear and stay in some pro-nirvana thread. All you're going to do is get pissed off about it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online