Most Overrated Bands of the 90's

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Most Overated Bands of the 90's

^^Do you even Know any bands from the 90's Fox??

:heheh:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Going to have to disagree with the reasons for Nirvana being overrated.

Cobain was actually a good guitarist, better then average.

He played in a so called grunge band that was really just a Punk band. Punk bands do not really need to have their lyrics be heard coherently.

Before you bring up the lyrics like you have in other forums, they are called cryptic lyrics. They are much more original then in your face songs IMO and that takes talent.

Nirvana are not the most overrated band in the 90's.

Green Day, Offspring, Nu-Metal bands, and Nine Inch Nails are the most overrated bands in the 90's.

I hate that word as well, but these bands are nothing quite honestly. Green Day had only one really worth while record. Same can be said about the Offspring. Nu Metal always sucked.

Nirvana played a huge part in exposing the mainstream to amazing music that would be overlooked because the bands they exposed were indie bands with little press.

LG I agree. Mudhoney is the most overlooked band that came from Seattle. They are the reason for Nirvana's explosion since they one influenced Nirvana and two since they went over to Europe and were well received which created the Hype in Seattle.

Nirvana was not intended to be the break out band from Seattle. Mudhoney was. The only problem was Mudhoney was not melodic like Nirvana.

I could go on and on and on.

The people who say Nirvana are overrated.... well let me rephrase that. One of the most overrated bands in the 90's have no clue.

Are they overrated as a band? No was Cobain? As a guitarist that can be argued because he was a good guitarist and I have yet to hear anyone get the same tone or sounds from their guitar like he did.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

More negativity? :yuk:

Yep :spit: Taste in music is so subjective i.e. I love Nirvana and Radiohead but gregjohnson doesn't. I also like Green Day and Nine Inch Nails but ComfortablyNumb doesn't. I don't think they were overrated at all but obviously there are a heap of people who do. We could discuss our differences of opinion until we did this :banghead: and this :bonk:

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

Yep :spit: Taste in music is so subjective i.e. I love Nirvana and Radiohead but gregjohnson doesn't. I also like Green Day and Nine Inch Nails but ComfortablyNumb doesn't. I don't think they were overrated at all but obviously there are a heap of people who do. We could discuss our differences of opinion until we did this :banghead: and this :bonk:

I like Green Day's first record. Nine is hit or miss honestly. That is why I considered them to be overrated, well I should say Reznor overrated haha.

F

FoxyPage

Tool is so overrated, man, I don't see what is so great about them at all.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

Good for you Sunny :tup: Subjective ratings mean absolutely nothing. Not too sure about objective ones either LOL

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Nirvana-never really got it. Kurt is incoherent. An average guitar player. .

BINGO!!! We have a winner..
Music Industry favortism.... just like any band a record company grossly over sells to the public just to make some cash..

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Oooh, just discovered this thread.... where to start? (heh, anyone who knows me know where I'll start).

Nirvana, EASILY the most overrated band of the 90's and one of the most overrated bands in the history of rock/pop music. Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering lyrics that make as much sense as talking to a 3 yr old in many cases. As a guitar player, anyone who says that Kurt is anything more than average-at-best doesn't know squat about guitar playing. when I hear people say that their music was groundbreaking, lyrics were inspiring, etc, I can only shake my head and say "put down the ****ing peace pipe". Inspiring lyrics?

Nirvana said:
Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me again

I'm not the only one [3x]
I'm not the only one...

Hate me
Do it and do it again
Waste me
Rape me, my friend

I'm not the only one. [3x]
I'm not the only one...

My favorite inside source
I'll kiss your open sores
I appreciate your concern
You're gonna stink and burn

Rape me
Rape me, my friend
Rape me
Rape me, again

I'm not the only one [3x]
I'm not the only one..

Rape me! (Rape me!)[8x]
Rape me!
Uh yeah. I'm really inspired right now. When and if you can actually get a "message" from Nirvana lyrics, all too often, it's about self-loathing, woah-is-me, crybaby bullshit. I'm sorry if this crap connected with a bunch of depressed kids who now had a social reason to not wash or comb/brush their hair and generally just look frumpy. I'd say I'm sorry the dude killed himself, but I'd be lying, the only thing that bothers me about his death is that the selfish dink left behind a daughter without a dad, and that the media turned this selfish dink into some sort of musical martyr, hoisting him on some proverbial and undeserved pedistal.

I will give them credit in that they did have a couple of songs that musically were decent. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good tune. It's too bad they didn't do more of this sort of thing rather than went into the dark, self-loathing despair direction. The lyrics of this song were pretty ridiculous, but fun rock shouldn't be "deep", at least not in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah, Nirvana = the MOST overrated band of the 90's, without question. there are others, but I'll post them separately.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.