Most Overrated Album Of The 80s

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
@Musikwala

I agree with you 110% about Prince, I never got what people saw in him or his music it leaves me cold and I perennially have "Raspberry Beret" in my top 10 worst songs in history.:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
The eighties get a lot of flak from many people but I enjoyed the hell out of that decade and like Dairenn preferred the music to what came in the 90's even though I understand what was going on, anyone who lived through the punk era knows that music goes through 'convulsions' and you never know where it's going to end up.

Fump

Reaction score
Most albums of the 80's are (were) overrated. In the 80's music began to become big business. They began to create money instead of music...Yes this started in the 80's...

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
album-Def-Leppard-Hysteria.jpg

I find Def Leppard to be pretty overrated in general but this mess of a pop-ified hard rock is their biggest and most successful crime. Cheesy middle of the road hits that would be considered adult contemporary by today's standards instead of actually rock like "Animal" and the title track are a drudge to listen to. The thin and wiry sounding (adjectives I could frequently attach to Def Leppard thanks to Joe Elliot's squealing, Chimpunk-esque vocals and the overall weak backing vocals) "Women" and "Rocket" hide under the facade of stadium rockers but are actually crushed under such weight. "Love Bites" is one of Def Leppard's best song but that only means it's moderately good in the grand scheme of things. The non-single tracks are really just formulaic formalities and ultimately forgettable. And finally, there is the band's signature earworm, "Pour Some Sugar On Me", which I really do wish wasn't as overplayed but it would be a very fun, catchy, albeit stupid, song for a group of friend's in the car or an assortment of party goers to enjoy. Instead half of the people who hear it go "Well alright" and get excited and the other half goes "Ugh...not this shit again", which perfectly sums "Hysteria" as a whole if you ask me.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^Agreed, that album as good as it is in parts is still very overrated. Way too polished.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Well they spent 8 years on it (if I'm not mistaken). After so long, I think all you can really do is keep polishing it further and further to make it the ultimate in squeaky clean rock records.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its an annoying trademark of Mutt Lange.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online